cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Freezes Windows 10 Home X64

panzlock
Level 12
My old PC which I gave to my daughter after I assembled my new build is experiencing random freezes. I can't be specific regarding time frame but it has been a while and began shortly following the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Freezes last a good 5-15 seconds and occur during browsing, game play, video/audio playback, etc... It's not biased when it wants to annoy someone. I reinstalled Windows but the problem persisted.

Recently on HWMonitor I noticed that the OS HDD has a warning beside it, but beside drive failure it still says "No". Can someone help me troubleshoot? Given that a clean Windows install didn't resolve the issue I believe it's a hardware problem. Any way to identify the warnings HWMonitor indicates?

Thanks.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.
2 REPLIES 2

kkn
Level 14
how old is HDD?
it may be starting dying on it self, but that is just a pure guess.
have you defragged the HDD's?

panzlock
Level 12
HDD is about 5-7 years old (possibly older) and saw a lot of mileage. Defragged numerous times in the past year. Same problem.

I already began backing up data because I fear it is in fact on its way out. Once that's done I will reinstall Windows on secondary drive and make that the primary. The current primary is only 150 GB so I'm not losing much, but I figured if possible why not salvage it.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.