cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Speed fluctuating during use...

Goldbergsdragon
Level 7
I have overclocked my i7 7700K to 5.1Ghz it works and seems stable (no issue so far), I'm on an Asus Hero IX. However watching the CPU speeds when putting it under load, it changes a lot and rather drastic as it's dropped down to 3.7 a few times. I have C-states, Speedstep and speed shift all disabled as they're what I would have thought let it do that. What else could allow the speed to change???
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Goldbergsdragon
Level 7
Ok thanks, that could be, but where would I find a way to stop it.*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There is no way to stop thermal throttling except improve cooling for CPU or provide active cooling for VRM....or of course lower OC

5.1GHz is going to need top end air cooling combined with low voltage which is a bit of an ask....or AIO liquid cooling. And a fan blowing over VRM is recommended

How are you cooling? What temps have you seen at load?

Goldbergsdragon
Level 7
I've tried 5Ghz as well to see if it would stop but no. I am under an AIO, seen no more than just over 80 under very heavy load.

Goldbergsdragon
Level 7
The thermal throttle point is 90 right??? If so maybe it is the thermal throttle and I'll just lower the OC if so. Best solution I think???

Goldbergsdragon
Level 7
Only other thing is why it even changes when only around 50-60 degrees as well...throttling shouldn't happen then surely.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Can't remember if it's 100 or 90 core temp says 100 here but not sure if it's updated for KabyLake....but if CPU hasn't gone past 80 maybe there is another explanation...?

Try lower clocks and see if you get same variations....cool VRM...maybe it's that...

Goldbergsdragon
Level 7
Ok thanks I'll try lowering OC first and then go from there 🙂 thanks, I'll post back as soon as*

Goldbergsdragon
Level 7
So I've lowered the OC 4.6 and 1.3V and getting under 80 degrees. It's still fluctuating but only by a few hundred MHz. Would you say it's more VRM now rather than throttle??? Seems a bit silly this chip being worse than 6th gen...