cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the most out of 5820K

Omega_Centauri
Level 7
Fairly new to over clocking but have read a lot of different guides on how to over clock Haswell 5820K. *Armed with the new knowledge and a very limited budget I went for the Strix X99 platform with Intel i7 5820K, a new (but mediocre?) Zotac GTX 1060 with 3GB, 32 GB of G.Skill 3000 rated memory (remembering the adage that CPU is King, I didn't think I would end up pushing the memory much above 2133 - later proved myself wrong) and spent the balance of the budget on a high airflow case (Master Cooler HAFX) and water cooling (Corsair H100i v2). *The research showed that Haswell chips run very hot so the investment in extra fans and cooling was key in my mind to get the CPU to a decent speed.

Once built and up and running I did a baseline stress test and benchmark - both with the Realbench program and established a starting point of about 99,000. *My goal was to see if I could get an extra 50% by over clocking and tweaking. *Then I started adjusting settings, each time stress testing and benchmarking.
Partway through my build of the new machine, I went over my original budget and spent some extra money on an Adata M.2 drive. *Great investment and the immediate baseline benchmark was up by about 40%. * This improvement seemed too easy and altered my target. *My next goal became getting the most out of the machine to see if I could double the original benchmark. *This is still a work in progress - getting close with a score of 192,406. *This is getting closer to my updated goal and it is getting harder and harder to squeeze any more out of the machine without increasing the fear of breaking it.

I also started to look for my uploaded scores on the Realbench leaderboard. *Since they never showed up on the leaderboard, I kept trying different upload techniques. *Eventually I realized could find them if I searched my computer (and as a bonus found that I had benchmarked more than 50 times earning a benchmarking addict medal in the process), but still not in the leaderboard listing. *A Question: *How come scores don't show in the leaderboard, but I can only see them if I do a search for my computer?

Seems like I am writing a long story about the over clocking trials but I am certainly enjoying this new adventure and welcome any comments or suggestions.

Omega Centauri
10 REPLIES 10

meankeys
Level 13
Omega Centauri Welcome to the ROG forums.

I found that if I upload a score then search by my name then refresh the screen. My scores will show up.
Nice score by the way
have fun

meankeys wrote:
Omega Centauri Welcome to the ROG forums.

I found that if I upload a score then search by my name then refresh the screen. My scores will show up.
Nice score by the way
have fun

Thanks. *I think you might have more rights in the system than me. *Perhaps I am not doing the refresh part right - I tried doing a browser refresh. *Is there something different to refresh within the leaderboard itself?

Can't see mine either....

Got it now....sorry so impatient:p

Perhaps I was a bit impatient too. *I see my score when I look at the "all scores from all users" method but not from the "only show highest score of all user submissions" method. *Looking today at the highest score I am wondering a bit about the leaderboard integrity or maybe someone has an absolutely awesome computer.

Omega Centauri*

With some of the advice for other motherboards adapted to the AI Tweaker on the Strix, I was able to make some minor BCLK adjustments and improve DRAM timing to bring out a little more. *Now benchmarks at 193,818. *Getting closer.

Omega Centauri*

Went for the upgrade to video card based on desire to add another monitor. *Now have a Asus Strix GTX 1080 in the machine and over clocked it per the ROG guides.
For some reason couldn't log into the online update through real bench for the most recent run (says wrong password ???) but was able to upload score to leaderboard using saved .rbr file to show the improvement to benchmark of 195514. *Now the score also shows properly on the leaderboard (maybe the offline upload was the difference). *Very happy with the new machine and the upgraded video card.

Omega Centauri*

Made some more adjustments and reached my updated goal of doubling the original benchmark with the most recent score of 198,560. *But the tweaking and stress testing and adjusting never ends. . .

Omega Centauri

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nice OC Omega Centauri...

Have you seen the tweaks thread for squeezing every last ounce out of the build http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35793-ROG-Benchmarking-Tweaks-amp-Tips