cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z270G Realtek S1220A Audio Driver Issues

Lawlbringer
Level 7
So with the standard Windows 10 generic driver, my audio works fine and the headphone/speaker amp works well on both the front and back of my PC and everything is nice and loud. However, when I install the latest driver from ASUS's website listed for my Strix Z270G motherboard (dated 1-10-2017) the my audio is no longer as loud and certain sounds are distorted. For example, the Windows asterisk (ding) noise sounds a bit crackly and fluctuates in volume. When I used the driver listed as BETA (dated 1-5-2017) I don't get the distortions on sounds, but the audio is far quieter...as if the amp isn't working.

Since the default Windows "High Definition Audio Device" driver seems to work fine, I don't think it's a hardware issue but rather a driver issue. Anyone know of a newer Realtek driver that may work for this codec without issues? I don't care much for the rest of the ASUS audio suite software, I can live without it.
12 REPLIES 12

Silentspy
Level 7
Did you try the latest realtek drivers?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

I was having same issues with my Astro A40 plugged into the back 3.5mm jack. then i adjusted the Impedance to performance and it seemed to cause less distortions (Using latest ASUS drivers)

Silentspy wrote:
Did you try the latest realtek drivers?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

I was having same issues with my Astro A40 plugged into the back 3.5mm jack. then i adjusted the Impedance to performance and it seemed to cause less distortions (Using latest ASUS drivers)

I have, same issue. Even when I change the impedance I get those distorted sounds and fluctuations in volume with the latest driver from Realtek. I've done a clean install too and tried again with no luck.

I'm experiencing the same issue on my ASUS Strix 270G with both the latest drivers from the ASUS site as well as with the latest drivers from the Realtek site.

It sounds like the drivers might be changing the impedance often in error. There is rapid changes in volume and distortion. If I uninstall the drivers, Windows 10 uses default audio drivers and the issue does not occur but the sound output is not optimal.

Happens with all of the headphones I tested:
Sennheiser Game One
Fostex TH-900
Beyerdynamic T5P

all of the above work fine on my ASUS RIVBE.

Has anyone discovered a workaround or has anyone seen this acknowledged by ASUS?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue on other Asus 270 boards? I would like to build more systems using these boards but cannot due to the unresolved audio issues. I have a ticket open, will respond back if there is a fix provided.

Went from ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER Z97 to ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H and sound is way quieter :<. I've set amplify level to Extreme.

robtherobot wrote:
I'm experiencing the same issue on my ASUS Strix 270G with both the latest drivers from the ASUS site as well as with the latest drivers from the Realtek site.

It sounds like the drivers might be changing the impedance often in error. There is rapid changes in volume and distortion. If I uninstall the drivers, Windows 10 uses default audio drivers and the issue does not occur but the sound output is not optimal.

Happens with all of the headphones I tested:
Sennheiser Game One
Fostex TH-900
Beyerdynamic T5P

all of the above work fine on my ASUS RIVBE.

Has anyone discovered a workaround or has anyone seen this acknowledged by ASUS?

I was having the issue with my Sennheiser HD 598's plugged directly into the headphone audio jacks or either the front of back of my case. The only workaround I found was lowering the master volume to around 10% in Windows, where the volume was low enough to not sound distorted. I always set it on the lowest impedance setting, but after every reboot it defaults back to the middle setting "(Powerful") which is pretty annoying.

I did notice though, that when I have the headphones plugged into my speakers directly, it seems to lower the volume quite a bit.

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
I get the odd pop through the optical to my DAC, didn't happen with my x99 Strix.
But to get the full range with the DAC you need to have the PC's volume at 100% and control the volume on the DAC.

I've tried everything to stop the popping, don't do it when I run the speakers from the audio jack, but I'm also not running the volume at 100%.

I have had a ticket open with ASUS on this issue for 12 days without any response.

I have the strix i mini-itx and was having the same issues. I grabbed the "beta" set listed for your board, coincidentally, and that resolved all my issues. If you want the lastest drivers to function better click the settings icon top right corner of the gui and set it to ac97. That also fixed all the issues for me. I prefer the beta set to hd myself.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/Realtek_Audio_Driver_Win7-81-10_V6017960.zip?_ga=1.26341...