cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero cpu temp spikes and fan cycling

DutifulServant
Level 7
I have a new build with a temperature issue that is driving me nuts. I think it's the i7-7700k itself that is the issue. But here goes...

Intel i7-7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair LTX 32GB DDR4-2666
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Asus Strix GTX 1080

Only adjustment to motherboard is RAM set to XMP DDR-2666. I did try resetting to defaults with no change. I wonder if "sync all cores" may be a factor.

My heatsink fan is cycling up and down. Obviously, this happens when the processor has activity, but the frequency with which it does is an annoyance. This does not appear to be normal to me.

I figured out even simply opening a file causes a <1 sec temperature spike between 25-31degrees that is causing the heatsink fans to spin up. In other words, idle temp is 29-30 celsius. Temperature spikes to 60-61 Celsius. Then returns to 30C.

For example, I open a new browser window, fans cycle up for spike and return to normal operating speed. I start playing a video on the web page, fans cycle up and return to normal operating speed for the rest of the video. So temperatures for example would be idle 30 Celsius, spike 60 C and then 30- 32 C while video plays.
Not the best example, but I hope it gets the point across.

Prime95 blend test gives max temp of 71C.

Unless I manually set the fans to run a 80%, which is louder than I want and unnecessary, I have this constant up and down with my heatsink fan.

I have checked and reseated my heatsink (Noctua NH-D15. I contacted Intel, but they were not much help... Ugh, now I'm wondering if the random issues I'm having with Windows 10 are due to the processor too.

Any help is appreciated!
37 REPLIES 37

Raja
Level 13
You can control the fan curve and fan spin-up/spin-down times via Fan Xpert or the UEFI. You should be able to make adjustments to prevent rapid fluctuations.

Amsterdam
Level 9
I have the exact same issue here. My idle temp is around 25c which I think is nice. When I start my browser and go to YouTube everything goes fine, until I move the movie forward slider. The temperature will jump to 55c, and goes immediately back to the idle temp of 25c. I really don’t have a clue why this will happen.
To prevent my fans making an annoying sound I ran the Fan Xpert 4 software and fine tune the fan curve. Use also the option ‘Fan Spin Up Time’.

Unfortunately, even when using the Fan Xpert, and a lot of fine tunning i've seen that the software has also a problem with handling such sort spike temps.

I hope someone can explain what’s really going on here. Maybe a bios update to filter those very short (1 second) high temps the cpu can give?

Amsterdam: Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one! It's been driving me bonkers!

Raja: I tried several different fan settings in the UEFI, but I still end up with the fan issue. The only way to make the fan cycling noise unnoticeable is to set the fan at a constant high speed (loud). There's no reason for the fans to run any faster than silent when just browsing the web.

I will try working with Fan Xpert some more. I don't remember a fan spin up/down time option. I adjusted the curve plot points - temperature and speed. Will look later today when I get the chance.

Thanks for the responses!

Amsterdam wrote:
I have the exact same issue here. My idle temp is around 25c which I think is nice. When I start my browser and go to YouTube everything goes fine, until I move the movie forward slider. The temperature will jump to 55c, and goes immediately back to the idle temp of 25c. I really don’t have a clue why this will happen.
To prevent my fans making an annoying sound I ran the Fan Xpert 4 software and fine tune the fan curve. Use also the option ‘Fan Spin Up Time’.

Unfortunately, even when using the Fan Xpert, and a lot of fine tunning i've seen that the software has also a problem with handling such sort spike temps.

I hope someone can explain what’s really going on here. Maybe a bios update to filter those very short (1 second) high temps the cpu can give?

@Amsterdam
I've got the same problem, cpu idles between 21 and 25c and jumps to 55c somethimes and goed almost immediately back to 25c.
Played around with Fan Xpert 4 & bios but can't seem to find a solution, maybe set the fans to a fixed RMP until a bios update solves it?

Grtz

Going to add my name to the list. Not a Hero board, but the Strix Z270G board. Random momentary temp spikes cause the cpu fan to ramp up considerably, despite having long fan spin up and down times set in both the BIOS and in AI Suite.

Raja
Level 13
You have the spin up and down option in both Fan Xpert and firmware. The other alternative is to save fan profiles in Fan Xpert and load the right one for the type of tasks you are going to perform on the PC.

Well, I was about to give up and I ran the "Fan Tuning" option one last time... darn thing finally worked!

So fans appear straightened out, but now I have to figure out which driver, software or piece of hardware is causing Windows 10 to hang randomly.

Thanks for the help!

DutifulServant wrote:
Well, I was about to give up and I ran the "Fan Tuning" option one last time... darn thing finally worked!

So fans appear straightened out, but now I have to figure out which driver, software or piece of hardware is causing Windows 10 to hang randomly.

Thanks for the help!

Until now and for all the findings inside windows 10, (I am not a windows savvy guy, but I am on OSX)I came son the same conclusion. It is Windows thing. Some drivers can be change with out being connected to the internet. that was the way how I did put to work the Sonic Suite. Please come back again on your findings.*
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
Until now and for all the findings inside windows 10, (I am not a windows savvy guy, but I am on OSX)I came son the same conclusion. It is Windows thing. Some drivers can be change with out being connected to the internet. that was the way how I did put to work the Sonic Suite. Please come back again on your findings.*

I decided to take a break from troubleshooting and just use the computer for a bit - play some games. My preliminary notes are that the ASUS software can cause problems with Windows 10.

GPU Tweak II definitely isn't liked. The Monitor program rarely loads (with startup or manually) and half the time GPU Tweak II doesn't load with startup.

My issues were worst when ASUS AURA was installed. Since I uninstalled it my system freezes have dropped considerably. Now my computer hangs most with web browsers. I have a recurring Microsoft Edge error. As I often have Edge open with Firefox and Chrome, Firefox and Chrome will hang too. Windows 10 does not like the USB ports and card readers built into my older Dell Monitor so I get a driver error and a USB error about that every so often.

As I said, I took a break from troubleshooting. Eventually, when I have the time and want to dig into the problems, I will. Likely, I will do a clean re-install.