cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A non conventional guide to clean install G74sx

kompleet
Level 8
Hi,

A lot of people are wondering what process, and bloatware they can remove. And a lot of people says they have to keep stuff like atk package, kb filters or audio driver.

The truth is : none of them.

First, the processes and startup programs, you don't need any of them. I did a clean install with a legal windows 7 iso, and you only need the wlan drivers, usb 3, card reader, nvidia, bluetooth, and chipset drivers.

BUT : if you want a very clean computer, dont install the drivers with their setup.exe crap, because it will install useless bloatware and startup crap.
All youn have to do is to extract the driverd, and install them manually with the peripheral manager, and locate manually the files.
Sure, it takes more time, but in the end you will have a perfect clean installation.

Regarding atk and kb filter, I don't use them andneverything workd perfectly, as I can still control volume and brightness using the fn key.
The only thing that don't work is the turbo fn key, wich is useless because Power4gear is useless too as you can adjust this with windows power management settings.

And no, youn don't need realtek's drivers, windows 7 defaut driver works perfectly.

Hope this will help some !

I apologize for any grammar issues, I'm french 😉
5 REPLIES 5

BrodyBoy
Level 10
The truth is : none of them.

No...that's not true. Not if you want full functionality.

It's true that the computer will run just fine without the ATK package, and some function keys even work. But not all of them. Nor will the backlights. I think most owners would prefer to retain all the basic functionality in lieu of absolute minimal processes. Clean becomes TOO clean when things don't work as expected. (Though I don't care about the ROG button, either! ;o))

I've tested lots of clean installs on this model, and though I see your objective, I have to disagree with you. You do get a lot of "partial" functionality even before certain basic drivers are installed, but this tends to eventually catch up with you. Without the Realtek HD audio driver, for example, you lose most options to tweak the audio since you obviously don't have the Realtek Manager, and many add-on programs (like THX TruStudio) won't recognize the audio device without it. Similarly, the basic Windows TP driver works, but offers no gesture functions, which are kind of the whole point of these multi-touch touchpads.

In addition, different users have very different needs....WLAN and BT but no LAN may be ideal for you, but others may need different network options. I disable webcams and BT in laptops that have them....but that's certainly not ideal for everybody.

These are very powerful computers. They have more than enough capacity to run all their basic hardware drivers without missing a beat. (There's also no advantage I've found to bypassing the manufacturers' installers.....but there's the obvious disadvantage that you have a much greater chance of improperly-installed drivers.)

If you want a minimalist setup, that's fine. But I don't think it's an advisable approach for most users.

The realtek driver is only usefull if you plan to use the laptop speakers, and you want better sound. But if you just hook up a pair of decent speakers or your headphones you don't need them.

The g74 is not a laptop you use on your bed or like the way you use an ipad or macbook, I'm pretty sure 90% of owners use it like a desktop replacement that they need to carry from time to time.

kompleet wrote:
The realtek driver is only usefull if you plan to use the laptop speakers, and you want better sound.

Yeah....exactly. People DO use the speakers, and they DO want them to sound better! Lol!

I could also remove the built-in display and just use the HDMI out to an external monitor, or disable the touchpad and use a USB mouse....and so on. The fact that you could find alternatives to an internal device doesn't make the driver for the device unnecessary or useless.

Again, I just think that if you start cutting into the functionality of basic onboard components, that's a compromised installation, not a clean one.

kompleet
Level 8
Sorry I don't agree, sound is working, touchpad is working, brightness fn keys are working, usb3, card reader, wifi, and lan are working, so yes it's a clean and perfect install. My system boots very fast, and I only have 43 processes at startup, and no annoying software in the tray.

kompleet wrote:
Sorry I don't agree, sound is working, touchpad is working, brightness fn keys are working, usb3, card reader, wifi, and lan are working, so yes it's a clean and perfect install. My system boots very fast, and I only have 43 processes at startup, and no annoying software in the tray.

Do you have keyboard lighting working??