cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus VIII Won't Boot, Nothing. Any Ideas?

Ranic85
Level 7
Greetings,

So my computer has been acting a bit funny lately. When the computer runs, she runs perfectly fine. Lately though when I go to restart the computer. The computer hangs on the ASUS ROG logo, and does not load into windows. After three or four boots it will go to the automatic system repair and try to reset itself. The following boot will load windows 10 normally and everything runs fine.

So I thought it was the RAM modules that might be going out. So I picked up some new Gskill RGB DDR4 slapped it into the computer and now nothing. The lights on the motherboard show power, but when I hit the power switch nothing happens. I even hit the start button on the motherboard. Nothing. Not a whirr or a fan to be heard. Is the motherboard fried? What do I do at this point? I am tired of buying new parts.
22 REPLIES 22

Chino
Level 15

ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme
2x8GB Gskill Trident Z RGB (BRAND NEW)
Intel I7 6700k
2x EVGA 980ti OC edition
Corsair H100i liquid CPU cooler
Rosewill Blackhawk ultra gaming tower
EVGA 1200 Watt Supernova PSU (BRAND NEW)
Samsung 512 SSD PRO
1TB Western Digital Black

I hit the power button on the motherboard, the rest, mem okay, bios switcher, nothing. The lights are on the motherboard but she won't power, not even a peep at this point.

This motherboard has been giving me nothing but issues since day one of owning it. She has always had her quirks. I think the motherboard just died. About a month ago the wifi on the motherboard just up and died, then the ram would no longer overclock to the specified 3000mhz, so that's why I bought new RAM thinking it was a RAM issue. I am eyeballing a shiny new motherboard on Newegg now. Just holding off till I am absolutely certain, but when the motherboard won't power on at all what else can I do?

Cheers everyone!

I tried clearing the CMOS, but the motherboard will not boot at all, not a peep or fan whirr to be heard. Not much I can do when the thing wont even power. Just the odd thing is the lights on the board are all on like she is ready to hit the power but nothing.

Ranic85 wrote:
I tried clearing the CMOS.

Did you clear CMOS?

Yes I cleared the CMOS, but what good is that going to do me if the motherboard will not turn on at all? Not a peep? the only thing that is on is the lights on the motherboard. It looks like it SHOULD be fine, but nope nothing.

Nate152
Hi Rancic85

As suggested try clearing the cmos, if this doesn't help try updating the bios.

If neither of these two help, what code does the motherboard give when you try to boot up?

The motherboard gives no code as it does not power up at all. Hit power switch, nothing happens. No fans spin, nothing happens nothing. HOw can I clear the CMOS when the motherboard will not boot at all? I have no post code to give you cause nothing happens when I hit the power button.

Nate152
The clear cmos button is on the back of the I/O panel, it's the one with the green circular arrow. Press and hold this button for 3 seconds then try booting. If you still get no code from the motherboard try updating the bios.

Make sure the 24 pin main power cable is seated and secured.

If these don't help this is pointing to a faulty motherboard or psu.