cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX laptop turns off while gaming on battery

Shadow277
Level 7
I have the G75VX and every time I start up a gaming program, or even this website, my laptop crashes. It only crashes when it is on battery. It will NOT crash while IT IS PLUGGED IN.

I have cleaned the fans and the vents.
I double checked the power settings so the laptop will not turn off at something crazy like 90% battery. Like the critical battery options.
I am not on the factory battery. It started about a week ago when my new 3rd party battery started to act up. I returned it and got another battery from a different company. Same issue on the first use.

My only hope is t buy an OEM battery? What is that doesn't work? I sincerely doubt that two 3rd party battery companies would create so many lemons. Or do they?
5 REPLIES 5

pondweed
Level 7
sounds like it could be not enough power input from battery.

if i remember correctly, a lot of power supply issues result in instant power off.

maybe a way to troubleshoot could be to tweak system options so it draws less power from battery. if that results in less shutdowns then id guess a faulty battery.

Julskey
Level 10
Don't game without ac connected. For me battery for these types of laptop is just like a UPS, to give you time to save your work and do a proper shutdown before power runs out during a blackout.

Shadow277
Level 7
Is there a way to test my latop battery to make sure it is not faulty with like a voltmeter? Is there a way to check to see if there is something wrong with my laptop hardware that will not allow my laptop to draw enough power from the battery? Because the battery keeps its charge and I am able to use it in class for MS Excel and using a website asks questions during lecture. No problem!
I get a problem MOST of the time with Runescape, which is not very demanding. I can get to the log in screen and chat with friends in the lobby. If I start the game, it shuts off.
If I start other more demanding games like Starcraft 2 or Crysis2, I don't even get to see the initial loading screen or game manufacture screen. It just shuts off.

I would like to avoid having to send this battery back. But if that is the only option then I suppose I will this weekend. If I get a 3rd battery and this happens again, what should I do?

Julskey
Level 10
I would get another battery first if it's not too expensive, and see if the problem goes away. What does your battery indicator say? 97% available. plugged in, not charging?

Ancients
Level 10
Use something like HWMonitor that can tell you how many MWH your battery has left. Hopefully you didn't get a knock off that only has something like a 5,000 MWH lifespan.