cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Reason why PG348Q coil Whine is G-SYNC module ?

Streamroller
Level 7
Hello.I ve been using PG348Q about 5 months,This month i noticed coil whining coming from MID back behind LCD. I am pretty sure it is coming from G-Sync module the reason is if i reduce to 80HZ it is dead silent.When in 100HZ i can hear pitch noise in white google chrome tabs,forums BUT NOT IN GAMES.Also I have a question the power adapter in PG348Q does have very loud AC/DC noise after LCD being turned off is it normal guys ?:p
4 REPLIES 4

Korth
Level 14
Asus overdrives/overclocks the IPS panel hardware to support up to 100Hz refresh rates, but it natively supports only a flat 60Hz refresh rate. The NVIDIA G-Sync module is designed to natively support up variable refresh rates up to 120Hz.

I think that the coil whine isn't being produced by the G-Sync hardware, I think it's more likely being produced by something else on the panel logic board.

Does the coil whine persist when "Boosted Refresh Rate" is >60Hz (100Hz!) while G-Sync is disabled?
Does the coil whine persist when "Boosted Refresh Rate" is <60Hz while G-Sync is enabled?

I don't know about the PG348Q's external power supply. The ones which come with my PG278Qs do have audible clicks when powering up and down, but I wouldn't describe them as being "very loud", they're quieter than my chassis fans and basically unnoticeable unless I'm actively listening for the clicks, not much louder than a thermostat "clicking" itself on/off. They do seem to get "louder" when starting cold in a cooler room, so I'd guess they're caused by some kind of self-resetting thermal circuit breaker.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Asus overdrives/overclocks the IPS panel hardware to support up to 100Hz refresh rates, but it natively supports only a flat 60Hz refresh rate. The NVIDIA G-Sync module is designed to natively support up variable refresh rates up to 120Hz.

I think that the coil whine isn't being produced by the G-Sync hardware, I think it's more likely being produced by something else on the panel logic board.

Does the coil whine persist when "Boosted Refresh Rate" is >60Hz (100Hz!) while G-Sync is disabled?
Does the coil whine persist when "Boosted Refresh Rate" is <60Hz while G-Sync is enabled?

I don't know about the PG348Q's external power supply. The ones which come with my PG278Qs do have audible clicks when powering up and down, but I wouldn't describe them as being "very loud", they're quieter than my chassis fans and basically unnoticeable unless I'm actively listening for the clicks, not much louder than a thermostat "clicking" itself on/off. They do seem to get "louder" when starting cold in a cooler room, so I'd guess they're caused by some kind of self-resetting thermal circuit breaker.

G-Sync actually works from 1Hz all the way up to the monitors top most refresh rate, A good example being the latest ROG Swift monitor i.e PG258Q 240Hz, PCPER did an interesting video on actual G-Sync operation ranges a while ago.

Dmitriy957
Level 7
G-SYNC works only from 30 HZ!

Dmitriy957 wrote:
G-SYNC works only from 30 HZ!

Incorrect, G-Sync actually works from 1Hz and upwards although anything less than 30Hz/FPS is pretty horrible anyway, Watch one of the early videos PCPER did on G-Sync, They tested a PG278Q using some various monitoring hardware and found the lower limit to be 1Hz.