cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G752VS Wich one is best AHCI OR RAID

tarek993
Level 7
Hi every one,
I bout recently an ASUS ROG G752VS , that comes with 128GB PCIe x4 SSD (Main) - installed + 1TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s HDD (Storage) and i7-6700HQ + GTX 1070 + windows 10 home

I was unlucky and I been hit with a strong virus so I had to fresh clean install windows 10, but it came configured from factory as RAID and it didn't let me to install windows unless I changed to AHCI so it could recognise and find my SSD, so I did that changed to AHCI and installed windows 10 without any problems.
My question is should I leave it on AHCI or should I change it to RAID wich one is the best option and fastest. because I tried to change it to RAID after installed windows but after the PC boots gives an error and goes to a blue screen I couldn't logging on windows with Raid on, only works with AHCI
And last question before I format it showed on the SSD drive they were 4 things recovery, system, unknown, and local volume C, but I formatted only the local volume C and installed w10, should I have deleted everything? will that cause me any conflict in the future? the F9 didn't work for me to reset to factory settings.
Thanks a lot in advance
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
The BIOS is a bit confusing and actually the terminology is incorrect. It would be more aptly named raid enabled/disabled.*
When raid is enabled to be able to load windows you have to do a custom install and load the IRST drivers during the install before you can see the drive. I have the folder with the IRST drivers on my windows install USB.

With that being said if you are running a single NVME drive leaving it as you have it is fine. There really is no performance difference. The only thing you gain with having raid disabled is if you are running a Samsung consumer NVMe drive like 950 or 960 you can use Samsung drivers and their magician software but neither works for the stock OEM Samsung drives. What do gain from using their drivers, nothing. I've tested both ways and proven time and again on different platforms that there is nothing to be gained from using their drivers. Same goes for magician, especially the latest version. The only thing it's actually good for is to upgrade firmware on the consumer drives.*

In summation you are fine as is.

What you are missing and is now gone forever is the factory recovery partition. If you don't have two other partitions one being windows recovery and the other being the BCD you didn't do a correct UEFI install. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
The BIOS is a bit confusing and actually the terminology is incorrect. It would be more aptly named raid enabled/disabled.*
When raid is enabled to be able to load windows you have to do a custom install and load the IRST drivers during the install before you can see the drive. I have the folder with the IRST drivers on my windows install USB.

With that being said if you are running a single NVME drive leaving it as you have it is fine. There really is no performance difference. The only thing you gain with having raid disabled is if you are running a Samsung consumer NVMe drive like 950 or 960 you can use Samsung drivers and their magician software but neither works for the stock OEM Samsung drives. What do gain from using their drivers, nothing. I've tested both ways and proven time and again on different platforms that there is nothing to be gained from using their drivers. Same goes for magician, especially the latest version. The only thing it's actually good for is to upgrade firmware on the consumer drives.*

In summation you are fine as is.

What you are missing and is now gone forever is the factory recovery partition. If you don't have two other partitions one being windows recovery and the other being the BCD you didn't do a correct UEFI install. *

Thanks very much for your help, I will leave it on AHCI then, and the other thing i cannot see the BCD what shal i do to do it correctly?? thanks again, this is what looks like on windows

JustinThyme
Level 13
Your good, the BCD is the boot which is shown in your as EFI system partition. The only one I don't recognize is the unknown but for what it is I wouldn't mess with it seeing how its nearly full. Looks almost like the factory recovery partition but that should not be with a clean install. All the rest are normal UEFI windows install partitions.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

In my G752VY, drive C: a was originally set on Raid mode, but resuming from suspension didn't work properly: after waking up, the transfer rate of drive C: was halved, and many times resuming just didn't work (black screeen, unresponsive desktop, etc). After changing it to AHCI, both problems were solved.

JustinThyme wrote:
Your good, the BCD is the boot which is shown in your as EFI system partition. The only one I don't recognize is the unknown but for what it is I wouldn't mess with it seeing how its nearly full. Looks almost like the factory recovery partition but that should not be with a clean install. All the rest are normal UEFI windows install partitions.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate your help,
I think for the unknown thing, it may be that before I install windows I formated just the "Local Volume" [C:] I didn't touch or format any of the other 3 partitions (system, recovery, unknown). because I wasn't sure what I was doing I'm not familiar with the new raid, ahci etc... I'm used to the old fashion format and install windows it was so easy, I guess I have a lot to catch up.
if it was you what test would you do to see if everything is working fine speeds, etc.... how do you recognize that?
I'm still not sure if to leave it like this or fresh install again windows 10 , the Laptop is working ok I didn't have any problems yet, didn't try any game yet

BoutTime01
Level 7
I thought Raid mode enables NVME compatibility!? Aren't you throttling an NVME drive by putting it in AHCI mode?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BoutTime01 wrote:
I thought Raid mode enables NVME compatibility!? Aren't you throttling an NVME drive by putting it in AHCI mode?

I would love to know that too, Im not familiar with all this things

BoutTime01
Level 7
Or is the drive installed not NVME? Mine is in my G752VT.

My SSD drive's original setting was Raid, and it's the original C: drive of my G752VY. My suspension problems are gone after switching to AHCI and, trust me, I tried a lot of things before finding an actual fix. Do you think I could damage the drive by switching to AHCI from Raid?