cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Asus Maximus IX Code handle 4233-Mhz DDR4 Ram?

MeTaL_SnAkE
Level 7
Hello, I have a question.. I'm about to purchase this motherboard and i've noticed that on the specs side it says the motherboard supports only up to 4133 Mhz..
Maybe it does support 4233 Mhz after all? I really wanna know.. The RAM I will purchase is G.skill Trident Z series. Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The board is guaranteed to support the memory speed as stated. The actual amount of memory overclock is dependent on the processor's IMC and one's tuning skills.

Praz wrote:
Hello

The board is guaranteed to support the memory speed as stated. The actual amount of memory overclock is dependent on the processor's IMC and one's tuning skills.

The CPU im planning to use is 7700K. Planning to OC to 5.0Ghz / 5.1Ghz. So it's possible to handle 4233 Mhz?

And if not, It will be possible with lowered OC to the CPU? Let's say 4.8Ghz / 4.9Ghz ?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It's not the type of CPU that Praz means....it's the actual CPU that you buy. The memory controller is subject to the same silicon lottery as expectations for core overclocking.

When you see OC next to RAM speed that means actual CPU dependant...that the frequency is not guaranteed....

Apart from that the board is qualified to a maximum...in this case 4133MHz

So...that's 4133MHz if your CPU is very good....so 4233...no!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
It's not the type of CPU that Praz means....it's the actual CPU that you buy. The memory controller is subject to the same silicon lottery as expectations for core overclocking.

When you see OC next to RAM speed that means actual CPU dependant...that the frequency is not guaranteed....

Apart from that the board is qualified to a maximum...in this case 4133MHz

So...that's 4133MHz if your CPU is very good....so 4233...no!

Worthless to buy 4233 Mhz? Not possible to OC to 4233 Mhz 100%? You sure?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hang on....

Yeah sorry...

Disclaimer: RamGazing has been known to produce no valid predictions

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hang on....

Yeah sorry...

Disclaimer: RamGazing has been known to produce no valid predictions

Haha nice picture.. Just wanted to make sure 😉 Thanks. I guess 4133 Mhz is a nice speed anyway.. IF it will be able to reach it. Thanks for your help!

MeTaL_SnAkE wrote:
I guess 4133 Mhz is a nice speed anyway.. IF it will be able to reach it. Thanks for your help!

😉

Yeah...that's pretty darn fast and will take some tweaking to get up and running no doubt....3600 is the sweet spot for less headaches...more plug and play

4133 is highest frequency without having to change BCLK via strap by the way...

Also running high speed RAM may subtract from CPU ability to overclock core/cache...so a CPU might be able to do 5.0GHz or run 4133 but maybe not both...

Lots of info here http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/?_ga=1.48071655.1562935007.1486241237

Hi,
I just recently bought the IX Code and DDR4 64MB Corsair vengeance 3200MHz . The DRAM is set to Auto by default and the bios set the memory to 2400MHz. The higher speed is listed in the overclocking but when I selected it, pc wouldn't boot, I had to set it back to Auto.

This motherboard is spec'd to be able to run higher speed memory but doesn't seem to handle it in practice. I installed the latest bios .702 or something.

p.s. also adding CPU is i7-7700k

MeTaL_SnAkE
Level 7
Just out of curiosity - Why theres 4233 Mhz DDR4 Ram available if no motherboard can handle it yet.. ?