Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqey View Post
    I found contradicting information @ https://unlocked.newegg.com/article/...0-motherboards

"A new change for ASUS is the inclusion of the DAC and amp on the back of the motherboard. Previously, the fancy audio equipment only worked on the front audio header. So if you plugged your high ohm audiophile headphones into the back, you’d have a bad time.Now, the killer ESS Sabre DAC (and amp) powers both the front and back jacks."

So is the news article correct?

That article is incorrect. Boards that feature the ESS DAC do not reroute the DAC's audio outputs to the rear I/O. The only thing that's dynamic here is the impedance sensing, and I think that's what confused them.

Also, the Strix Z270 series have dual op-amps for headphones, but the more premium ROG Maximus IX series lack this.
    Is this because only ROG has the switching mosfets and therefore can use the same op-amp for both rear & front outputs while Strix needs a dedicated op-amp for both front & rear? Otherwise it would seem the Strix series has more powerful headphone output than ROG.

Thank you.

The Strix boards use the codec's built-in headphone output, which then goes through a voltage gain stage (because it needs voltage gain) and then a buffer stage. In contrast, the Maximus boards bypass the codec's analog output's entirely, utilizing i2S to send the digital stream to the ESS DAC, which is then buffered by a RC4580. The ES9023 already outputs 2V, so it doesn't need the voltage gain stage, and it's analog output is arguably 'better' than the codec's native analog output.

Hope this clears things up...

-Raja

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    The ES9023 already outputs 2V, so it doesn't need the voltage gain stage, and it's analog output is arguably 'better' than the codec's native analog output.

-Raja
    Thank you for the detailed info!

However ROG front jack (ES9023) has 112 dB SNR while the rear jack (S1220) has 120dB & gold connectors.

Is front jack still the better option to connect headphones?

Thank you for the detailed info!

However ROG front jack (ES9023) has 112 dB SNR while the rear jack (S1220) has 120dB & gold connectors.

Is front jack still the better option to connect headphones?

Gold isn't the best conductor, it just prevents oxidization. When comparing specs, there's also distortion, frequency response, and output impedance to consider. And, at these levels, things become subjective fast. In other words, don't get too hung up on a couple of minor points.

New ROGer Array

Headphone amp not needed?

Gold isn't the best conductor, it just prevents oxidization. When comparing specs, there's also distortion, frequency response, and output impedance to consider. And, at these levels, things become subjective fast. In other words, don't get too hung up on a couple of minor points.
    Great info, thank you.

I'm using the front jack for Sennheiser HD600 (300ohm) headphones, and above volume 20/100 in Windows is already too loud.
    In this case I guess I don't need a separate headphone amp like Objective2 as the Hero IX has good enough quality?

Thanks!

ROG Enthusiast Array jjxakergm PC Specs
    jjxakergm PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus IX Apex@MyMOD BIOS
    ProcessorIntel Core i3-8350k
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    MonitorDell u2713H
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
    CPU CoolerDeepcool Captain 240 EX
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME 750W Titanium
    Keyboard G.SKILL Ripjaws KM780 RGB
    Mouse Razer Lancehead TE
    Mouse Pad G.SKILL Ripjaws MP780
    Headset/Speakers Edifier R2800 + Supra ZAC Toslink Optical
    OS Win 10 RS4 x64@MyMod OS/ISO
    Network RouterAsus RT-N65U@Сustom FW "Project Padavan"

Why the codec S1220A on APEX at the launching of the operating system gives a high-frequency sound to the speakers as a result there is a strong bang?
    If the sound on the speakers is very high, then you can be very frightened when the operating system is launched. Why the engineers of Asus can ignore such an obvious problem?
    Connect the speakers to the back panel, set the sound on the speakers to maximum, turn on the computer. right after the win bootloader there will be a very strong low-frequency sound.
    Why then the board with the codec S1220 not have problems?

New ROGer Array

That article is incorrect. Boards that feature the ESS DAC do not reroute the DAC's audio outputs to the rear I/O. The only thing that's dynamic here is the impedance sensing, and I think that's what confused them.

The Strix boards use the codec's built-in headphone output, which then goes through a voltage gain stage (because it needs voltage gain) and then a buffer stage. In contrast, the Maximus boards bypass the codec's analog output's entirely, utilizing i2S to send the digital stream to the ESS DAC, which is then buffered by a RC4580. The ES9023 already outputs 2V, so it doesn't need the voltage gain stage, and it's analog output is arguably 'better' than the codec's native analog output.

-Raja
    I am going to be using the rear output to plug in my headphones on a z370 Maximus board. How will the quality differ from using the front output?

Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    I am going to be using the rear output to plug in my headphones on a z370 Maximus board. How will the quality differ from using the front output?

Subjectively, may lack dynamic punch in comparison to the fp.

ROG Member Array

So, the Maximum Hero IX only uses the ESS DAC on the front panel output (header on the MB)? Therefore, the only way to run a pair of mains and a sub would be to use the 1220 on the rear MB outputs (5 analog and 1 optical), or do I have that backwards? Thanks!

-Raja

Quote Originally Posted by xyrium View Post
    So, the Maximum Hero IX only uses the ESS DAC on the front panel output (header on the MB)? Therefore, the only way to run a pair of mains and a sub would be to use the 1220 on the rear MB outputs (5 analog and 1 optical), or do I have that backwards? Thanks!
    The ESS DAC has nothing to do with the rear outputs. If using multi-channel, you may be able to use some kind of software rerouting (such as Audio Repeater) to utilize the front outputs for stereo, while the sub is connected to the rear. Whether or not it's a good idea to do that is another matter, though.

ROG Member Array

That breaks my heart, and seems to be an odd way to market something the way they did. THat said, no sound from the sub/ctr orange connector, but sound is fine from main/green connector. Tried both stereo/TRS and mono/TS cables to no avail. SOmething in software? I have SupremeFX set to 5.1 with sub enabled.

New thread?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast