Mouse Asus Spartha
    Headset Hyper X Cloud Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Hyper X Fury S 900mx420mm
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z337
    OS Windows 10 64btis
    Network RouterTpLink Archer C9
    Accessory #1 EKWB FANs all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqey View Post
    I found contradicting information @ https://unlocked.newegg.com/article/...0-motherboards

"A new change for ASUS is the inclusion of the DAC and amp on the back of the motherboard. Previously, the fancy audio equipment only worked on the front audio header. So if you plugged your high ohm audiophile headphones into the back, you’d have a bad time.Now, the killer ESS Sabre DAC (and amp) powers both the front and back jacks."

So is the news article correct?

Also, the Strix Z270 series have dual op-amps for headphones, but the more premium ROG Maximus IX series lack this.
    Is this because only ROG has the switching mosfets and therefore can use the same op-amp for both rear & front outputs while Strix needs a dedicated op-amp for both front & rear? Otherwise it would seem the Strix series has more powerful headphone output than ROG.

Thank you.

i can say that my hero ix have independent front a back outputs and i can be power independently. and i can say that the z370 have done a good work upgrading the audio cards. That i test. in order to power ohm headphones, that i will own you that since mine only gets 109ohm but i can make as now hear music in my headphones and hear a video in you tube for example in my speakers. Inside options in the supreme FX there is a option that can separate the imput jacks and input devise. also. a playbacks two different audio streams. please check that. they have independent controls, and also activates the audio in windows sound manager. Aside of that you can route the sound in anyway you want. the app is strong. but the new one z370 have beeter audio as power goes. ONLY 1 board can power high ohm headphones on the board back I/o panel. i hope asus can do that in the future. but there are also audio cards, asus have one if you need better audio necessities. so far on my side z270 the audio is the best on any z270 board. and yes I like moves and music. I hard to make a video and show that it works but works.!!!!
    Last edited by MrAgapiGC; 01-26-2018 at 02:09 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Subjectively, may lack dynamic punch in comparison to the fp.
    Hi there, I have a Strix Z270E with the SupremeFX S1220A codec. So does this mean that on my MB I should connect my headphones to the front audio connector to make use of the best amplifier on my MB? Dual headphone amplifiers suggests that there is one for front and back, or you could be forgiven for thinking that, but there is no mention of which one you should use in the manual.

The webpage overview mentions Texas Instruments® RC4580 and OPA1688 op-amps, is one for the front and one for the back or what is the story?

I currently have mine connected to the rear output as it gives a cleaner look and the 3.5mm connector on my Sennheiser HDHD558's is ridiculously massive!

Thanks!

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kgh00007 View Post
    Hi there, I have a Strix Z270E with the SupremeFX S1220A codec. So does this mean that on my MB I should connect my headphones to the front audio connector to make use of the best amplifier on my MB? Dual headphone amplifiers suggests that there is one for front and back, or you could be forgiven for thinking that, but there is no mention of which one you should use in the manual.
    Only the front panel output passes through the headphone amp stage.

The webpage overview mentions Texas Instruments® RC4580 and OPA1688 op-amps, is one for the front and one for the back or what is the story?
    This was already answered in post 11. One opamp provides voltage gain and the other acts as a buffer. They are not for independent outputs.

I currently have mine connected to the rear output as it gives a cleaner look and the 3.5mm connector on my Sennheiser HDHD558's is ridiculously massive!

Thanks!
    What sounds better comes down to a variety of things: how much gain the headphones need, their input impedance, how good the cable is that connects the FP output to the case FP (noise pickup). All of these things plus many more will have an impact on perceived sound quality. You will have to test and see which you prefer.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Only the front panel output passes through the headphone amp stage.

This was already answered in post 11. One opamp provides voltage gain and the other acts as a buffer. They are not for independent outputs.

What sounds better comes down to a variety of things: how much gain the headphones need, their input impedance, how good the cable is that connects the FP output to the case FP (noise pickup). All of these things plus many more will have an impact on perceived sound quality. You will have to test and see which you prefer.
    Hey, thanks for the reply! It might not be a bad idea to put a line in the manual stating that the headphone amp is only on the front audio connector. I reread some reviews for the Z270E and the reviewers all made the same assumption that I did, that dual op amps meant one for the back and one for the front!

Thanks for the reply and the clarification. I will try out the front and back and see what sounds best!

ROG Member Array

Just to follow up, my headphones sound much better when connected to the front audio output. There is much more dynamic range and bass is much stronger and better defined! I have Sennheiser HD558's.

I never tested them in the front output before as I thought that dual headphone op amps meant that there was one each for the front and rear outputs!

Now I just have to figure out a way to make the wiring look tidy!😉

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

This thread is not as informative as actual specs or datasheets for Realtek S1220/S1220A parts ... but it has still been very informative.

The only technical information which has been available so far has been (often incorrect) ASUS marketing and (rarely unbiased) independent testing/comparison reviews.
    Last edited by Korth; 02-13-2018 at 04:02 AM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    This thread is not as informative as actual specs or datasheets for Realtek S1220/S1220A parts ... but it has still been very informative.

The only technical information which has been available so far has been (often incorrect) ASUS marketing and (rarely unbiased) independent testing/comparison reviews.
    Can you post a link to those spec sheets? I don't see either of them on the Realtek site.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

I cannot post any links to datasheets because there are no datasheets in public domain. S1220/S1220A are custom ALC1150 parts made by Realtek for ASUS. As far as I know, nobody else can buy these parts or obtain their datasheets.

I think it's fairly obvious this is a deliberate decision by ASUS, they want a feature-rich high-spec audio codec that none of the other motherboard manufacturers (particularly copycats like Gigabyte and ASRock) can use on their own products.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post

Even if the sheets were online, the only difference between the A and non-A is that the former lacks i2s outputs. As a result, the A is a cheaper part.

These parts have been available to every vendor for some time.

ROG Member Array

THanks Raja. Indeed other manufacturers are using this part, and with good reason. It certainly is producing high quality audio. In fact, it's allowed me to bypass my external DAC, and take the outputs directly to my amp with astounding results.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast