cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT - Installing a second SSD M.2 (DONE)

IWILZ
Level 7
Hi all.
I'm not a SSD guru and my english is not good, but i would share my experience just hoping that could be useful for someone.
I've bought a G752VT-GC173T equipped with a Samsung PM951/128GB (MZVLV128HCGR) as O.S. disk and a Hitachi HTS721010A9E630/1TB as second data disk.

Since the G752VT has a second empty M.2 slot, my purpose was to install a bigger SSD (for the S.O.) using the original 128GB disk as an additional data disk.
So i asked to italian Asus technical support for compatibility and i bought a Samsung SM951 256GB (MZVPV256HDGL-00000)

This is what i done:

• installed the new SSD into the empty slot
  • started the BIOS (F2 + POWER ON) to check that the new SSD was seen by the BIOS --> OK
  • checked that the new disk was seen by "device manager" --> OK
  • using "disk manager" i initialized the new disk as GPT
  • format it as "simple volume/NTFS"

At this point the new SSD was ready for some little test and it worked fine reading and writing some directories and files 🙂

• Now i was ready to "clone" the system disk on the new one, but unfortunately both "Samsung Data Migration Software" and "Samsung Magician" programs are incompatible with the new SSD disk so i decided to use "AOMEI Backupper Pro - Portable".
  • The original PM951 has 3 partitions and this program allows to trim the partitions size on the new (bigger) disk to maximize the O.S. partition maintaining the size of the others 2.
  • by the BIOS i set the new SSD as boot disk

At this point the system starts good from the new disk without any visible or troubling problems 😉

After some hours i noticed an error ID 158 (disk identifiers duplicate) between the system events and i'm pretty sure that is because i "cloned" the original disk.
So i decided to remove the original disk for a few days and set it aside as a precaution.

When i will sure that the new system disk works perfectly, i will insert it into the PC and format it as a second data disk.

BTW this is a speed test of the new disk (Samsung SM951/256G)

...and this is the original one (Samsung PM951/128GB)
24 REPLIES 24

BoutTime01
Level 7
IWILZ wrote:
Hi all.
I'm not a SSD guru and my english is not good, but i would share my experience just hoping that could be useful for someone.
I've bought a G752VT-GC173T equipped with a Samsung PM951/128GB (MZVLV128HCGR) as O.S. disk and a Hitachi HTS721010A9E630/1TB as second data disk.

Since the G752VT has a second empty M.2 slot, my purpose was to install a bigger SSD (for the S.O.) using the original 128GB disk as an additional data disk.
So i asked to italian Asus technical support for compatibility and i bought a Samsung SM951 256GB (MZVPV256HDGL-00000)

This is what i done:

• installed the new SSD into the empty slot
  • started the BIOS (F2 + POWER ON) to check that the new SSD was seen by the BIOS --> OK
  • checked that the new disk was seen by "device manager" --> OK
  • using "disk manager" i initialized the new disk as GPT
  • format it as "simple volume/NTFS"

At this point the new SSD was ready for some little test and it worked fine reading and writing some directories and files 🙂

• Now i was ready to "clone" the system disk on the new one, but unfortunately both "Samsung Data Migration Software" and "Samsung Magician" programs are incompatible with the new SSD disk so i decided to use "AOMEI Backupper Pro - Portable".
  • The original PM951 has 3 partitions and this program allows to trim the partitions size on the new (bigger) disk to maximize the O.S. partition maintaining the size of the others 2.
  • by the BIOS i set the new SSD as boot disk

At this point the system starts good from the new disk without any visible or troubling problems 😉

After some hours i noticed an error ID 158 (disk identifiers duplicate) between the system events and i'm pretty sure that is because i "cloned" the original disk.
So i decided to remove the original disk for a few days and set it aside as a precaution.

When i will sure that the new system disk works perfectly, i will insert it into the PC and format it as a second data disk.

BTW this is a speed test of the new disk (Samsung SM951/256G)

...and this is the original one (Samsung PM951/128GB)

Thanks for this. Will probably be doing this myself soon except with a 256GB SM961.

But in truth, with those speeds of the original PM950 (especially the writes) it's not even worth putting it back in the laptop for use as a 2nd drive. It's too slow. I updated my 1TB HDD with a sata SSD which has around 500 for both read/write.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BoutTime01 wrote:
I updated my 1TB HDD with a sata SSD which has around 500 for both read/write.

What model is your sata SSD and did you have any problem?

IWILZ wrote:
What model is your sata SSD and did you have any problem?

Sandisk Ultra II. No problems at all. Only paid about £76 for the 256GB version.

BoutTime01 wrote:
Sandisk Ultra II. No problems at all. Only paid about £76 for the 256GB version.

I meant 480GB.

BoutTime01
Level 7
So do you notice a difference in performance after upgrading to the new drive?

BoutTime01 wrote:
So do you notice a difference in performance after upgrading to the new drive?

I've bought my G752VT only 2 weeks ago and i don't used it a lot before the upgrade.
In addition i was looking for more system space and not for better performances.

So i can just say that using Adobe Premiere to make a video editing at 1920x1080 is very good now (but i have not tried it before) and that my speed tests seems to confirm that the performances are improved.

P.S.
After 5 days, still no any kind of errors shown by Event Viewer 😉

IWILZ wrote:
I've bought my G752VT only 2 weeks ago and i don't used it a lot before the upgrade.
In addition i was looking for more system space and not for better performances.

So i can just say that using Adobe Premiere to make a video editing at 1920x1080 is very good now (but i have not tried it before) and that my speed tests seems to confirm that the performances are improved.

P.S.
After 5 days, still no any kind of errors shown by Event Viewer 😉

Did you need any new drivers or does windows use the same ones? Just wondering if I install an SM961 will I have any driver issues.

BoutTime01 wrote:
Did you need any new drivers or does windows use the same ones? Just wondering if I install an SM961 will I have any driver issues.
No BoutTime01, i've done exactly what i told in the first post, so i i've not installed any new driver.
Furthermore, i chosen a Samsung SM951 only because italian Asus support told me that was the only M.2/256GB device certified by Asus.

If you will install a SM961 please report your experience because i could decide to buy one as a second M.2 card.

IWILZ wrote:
No BoutTime01, i've done exactly what i told in the first post, so i i've not installed any new driver.
Furthermore, i chosen a Samsung SM951 only because italian Asus support told me that was the only M.2/256GB device certified by Asus.

If you will install a SM961 please report your experience because i could decide to buy one as a second M.2 card.

Just ordered an SM961 256GB online. Atleast I think I have. The Part Number is MZVPW256HEGL-00000 but according to the Samsung website the Part Number should be MZVPV256HEGL-00000.
A quick search on Google suggests O have the right one. Samsung themselves may have made a typo as the SM951 Part Number is MZPV256HDGL.