cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g74 ssd installation help

mattgraz
Level 7
My ssd should be coming in about an hour and i wanted to get everyones opinion on the best way to transfer over the os from my 500gb hard drive to the 120 gb ssd. I assume because there are 2 hard drive bays it would be fairly easy. Thanks in advance for your help
9 REPLIES 9

zsld0423
Level 9
If you're wanting to do a straight-transfer with everything how it was on the 500GB hard drive, I'd say make an image of your install and then just restore the image to the SSD (I think that should work). I've had no troubles using a program called Acronis True Image. There's also the option that you can do a Clean install on the SSD, to start fresh. You can use the Windows Key on the bottom of the laptop to activate it, and there is a Windows 7 Home Premium ISO floating around here somewhere that you can download/burn and install that way. The SSD I ordered was only 64GB, so I disabled a few things to maximize space. Here's a good link for maximizing your SSD usage, and helping out in general

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-*...
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks that was very helpful. the ssd should be coming any minute now and i cant wait to see that performance increase.

zsld0423
Level 9
It's definitely worth it 😄 I can hit the restart button in Win7, let it shut down, restart, show the POST screen, then log in to my desktop with every application loaded at boot in under 30seconds, friends will be amazed =P
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

I was also wondering if the ssd would help my battery life at all not that it matters but it would be a bonus. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191 this is the ssd i got and if anyone has any experience with it id love to get some opinions or tips for it.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
@mattgraz:

Since you asked about transferring your existing installation, there's also a pretty easy option within Windows itself, assuming you can sufficiently shrink the current C: drive. You wouldn't have to buy 3rd party programs.

As already mentioned, the gist is that you make an image of the current system drive, then restore it to the SSD. In a little more detail, there there are a couple more steps than that:

• Move all extra data off the C: partition (any of your photos, music, etc.)
  • Uninstall any programs you don't really want
  • Defragment the C: partition
  • Shrink the partition in Disk Management (to the size of the SSD)
  • In Windows Backup & Restore, create a system image and system recovery disk
  • Physically install the new SSD and update its firmware (if needed)
  • Use the system recovery disk to restore the image to the SSD
  • Boot up just like you did before....only now it's from the SSD, and it's faster

Finally, another option, if your computer is new & you haven't put much of your own stuff on it yet...and you do want the OEM installation....is to do a factory restore to the SSD.

• Make a set of recovery DVDs (using AI Recovery in the current installation)
  • Use the recovery DVDs to perform a factory restore to the SSD

BrodyBoy wrote:
@mattgraz:

Finally, another option, if your computer is new & you haven't put much of your own stuff on it yet...and you do want the OEM installation....is to do a factory restore to the SSD.

• Make a set of recovery DVDs (using AI Recovery in the current installation)
  • Use the recovery DVDs to perform a factory restore to the SSD

This method worked flawless for me. I purchased a 120GB OCZ SSD and a 500GB Seagate HDD. I saved the drive that came with my G74sx factory fresh in case I need to swap it back for any reason. I didn't install the HDD until I had everything running fine on the SSD. Boot up time to clean desktop is under 20 seconds!!!! Freakin fast for Windows!

dstrakele
Level 14
Good stuff as usual, Brody! I tried to increase your reputation, but the forum software won't let me, even though I've spread it around to lots of other folks already. I'm sure it has something to do about your complaining about the new forum format... ;>{)>

This should be a sticky thread. I'm contemplating consolidating your posts and illustrated guides into an ebook entitled "How to Avoid an ASUS RMA and Get On With Your Life". Could be money in it. If there's a lot, I might even send some your way...NAAAH!!!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
LOL! Yeah, I do a lot of griping about Asus around here...they probably don't like me very much! (It's ok....I'll live.)

Thanks for the comments..... 🐵

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I'm glad it all worked out! 🙂