cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG G752VT . Overheating issues

Vaire
Level 7
Hello everyone,
I bought an asus laptop 2 months ago and I've been experiencing overheating issues since the beginning.
I'm an AION player and I've therefore arranged everything to play with high quality settings but my CPU doesn't agree. I've been monitoring the situation for some weeks (both through the asus gaming center and external softwares) and my CPU keeps on reaching 90° in the worst gaming situations. I play on a rigid platform in order to have the best ventilation and even tried to lower as much as possible the graphic settings. Yet, no improvement.
I've been wondering whether I should try to open my laptop and detach the battery, but I do not know whether it may be a good idea or not, as it seems it isn't intended to be removed.
Do you think it's a normal temperature and there's no need to worry? Or is there anything to be fixed?

GPU temperature does not exceed 70°.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Simone
19 REPLIES 19

m3ntaL
Level 7
Hello!

I have G752VM and my temps, when gaming were CPU 90C max/86-87C stable, GPU 76C max/76C stable. Therefore I've undervolt when I play and now the situation is: CPU 82C max/80-82C stable, GPU 80C max/78C stable. I don't like the rise of the GPU temp. I thought it should get lower, with the cooler CPU in the box. May be there is some issue with the cooling fan's curves. Will try something with NBFC. Sadly no other monitoring tool seems to detect my fans speeds.

Hello,
I'm trying to undervolt my cpu. -150mV resulted in <3°. I don't think I'll be able to go lower though.

Vaire wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to undervolt my cpu. -150mV resulted in <3°. I don't think I'll be able to go lower though.

Yeah, -150mV is pretty hefty, so you probably won't be able to go too much lower. There is another option you can try.

Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Whatever power plan you're using > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management
From here you can see the minimum and maximum processor state. Set the maximum processor state to 99% and set the minimum to 99% or lower.
Doing this will disable your system from using Intel's turbo boost, limiting your CPU clock to ~2.5GHz instead of the maximum turbo clock of 3.5GHz for an individual core. This should drop your temperatures even further, even more than undervolting.

From there, try playing AION and see if there is a hit to your fps. I have used this method for some games and not seen any drop in performance, and in others I have. Hopefully it will be the former for AION.

Ancients wrote:
Yeah, -150mV is pretty hefty, so you probably won't be able to go too much lower. There is another option you can try.

Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Whatever power plan you're using > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management
From here you can see the minimum and maximum processor state. Set the maximum processor state to 99% and set the minimum to 99% or lower.
Doing this will disable your system from using Intel's turbo boost, limiting your CPU clock to ~2.5GHz instead of the maximum turbo clock of 3.5GHz for an individual core. This should drop your temperatures even further, even more than undervolting.

From there, try playing AION and see if there is a hit to your fps. I have used this method for some games and not seen any drop in performance, and in others I have. Hopefully it will be the former for AION.

Hello,

I lowered the voltage setting to -190mV and it seems it may even go lower. How on earth is it possible?
Then, I did as you suggested and the cpu temperature dropped some more degrees. No hit to fps is to be really appreciated and graphics is as smooth as usual. Nonetheless, clocks max value hit 3.5GHz while playing and remained constant to 2.5GHz under prime95 stressing test. Shouldn't it be limited to 2.5GHz even while playing?

One last question: do you think it would be a good idea to try to lower the voltage even more? I haven't seen any sign of instability yet.

Thank you guys.

Regards,
Vaire

---

EDIT: Apparently, CPU clock is now limited to 2.5GHz even while playing. Perhaps throttlestop was interferring with the power settings.
Temperature max value hits now 60 - 75°. Still, would it be safe and a good idea to try to lower the voltage even more? No instability to be seen as I stated above.

Ancients
Level 10
You could go lower if you want. I got mine to -185mV before my system became unstable. Also beware that stable at a limited 99% processor state might not be stable with a 100% unrestricted processor state.

I'll make sure it's set to 100% before trying any other undervolting then, thank you. How long should I let the torture test run in order to check the stability of the system anyway?

Regards,
Vaire

---

UPDATE: -200mV resulted in core #1 failure. Trying to reduce power settings to 99%.
UPDATE: -200mV at 99% maximum processor state resulted in BSOD. I set it to -185mV and everything seems fine (99%).

CPU temperature lowered from 90°C to 70°C. Thank you guys.

Regards,
Vaire

Ancients
Level 10
Haha, sounds like the answer was found out, but usually even a short test will catch instabilities. 20°C is quite the hefty drop! I'm glad it worked out for you.

kaufen
Level 7
I have used this method for some games and not seen any drop in performance, and in others I have

Julskey
Level 10
What BIOS version are you using for your G752VT? When I updated my bios to version 216, my cpu core zero had 100% cpu usage (viewing from task manager/performance monitor) even when idle, and cpu temp has gone up by over 10 degrees at idle. I reverted back to bios 214, now my temps got back to around 42 deg C at idle. You may want to check that core zero if you are using bios 216.