cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HERO issue with PCI-E x4 slot

Tolem
Level 7
It looks like if I want to enable the PCIe x4 slot and actually have it run at x4 I have to disable PCIe x1 slot # 3.... I really wish this was listed before I bought the board. That would disable my soundblaster zxr...

The other two PCIe x1 slots that the soundcard could go in are sandwitching the main graphics card x16 slot and one is totally blocked by it while the other is where the intake fans are for the card.

It would be great if we could disable PCIex1 slot #1 or 2, but I dont think thats an option?

Why would it be designed so that the only usable PCIe X1 slots are right ontop of where people put huge graphics cards?

Do I need to switch to the Apex?
7 REPLIES 7

FuryA
Level 8
hi Tolem
How many cards do you installed?
What is the configuration?

Chino
Level 15
Tolem wrote:
It looks like if I want to enable the PCIe x4 slot and actually have it run at x4 I have to disable PCIe x1 slot # 3.... I really wish this was listed before I bought the board.

Please list your complete system specifications.

Its a pretty simple setup, everything fits fine physically its just I cant run the USB 3.0 card at x4 speeds in a port rated for x4.... If I could disable PICE x1_1 or PCIE x1_2 I'd be fine, but the BIOS only has an option to disable PCIE x1_3 from what I can see???

• PCIE x1_1.......... Not used - blocked by 980ti
  • PCIE x16/x8_1.. 980ti
  • PCIE x1_2.......... Not used - blocked by 980ti
  • PCIE x8_2.......... Not used
  • PCIE x1_3.......... Soundblaster ZXR + daughter card
  • PCIE x4_3.......... StarTech 4 port USB 3.0

Tolem wrote:
Its a pretty simple setup, everything fits fine physically its just I cant run the USB 3.0 card at x4 speeds in a port rated for x4.... If I could disable PICE x1_1 or PCIE x1_2 I'd be fine, but the BIOS only has an option to disable PCIE x1_3 from what I can see???

• PCIE x1_1.......... Not used - blocked by 980ti
  • PCIE x16/x8_1.. 980ti
  • PCIE x1_2.......... Not used - blocked by 980ti
  • PCIE x8_2.......... Not used
  • PCIE x1_3.......... Soundblaster ZXR + daughter card
  • PCIE x4_3.......... StarTech 4 port USB 3.0

Complicated setup indeed. Looks like you'll have to resort to using the PCIE x8_2 slot. It'll bring your GPU down to x16 but you probably won't even notice the difference in performance.

Menthol
Level 14
How is your video card blocking the #1 pciex1 slot?
Why do you need the USB card, is there not enough USB ports on the board already?

Its a 3 slot card and it doesnt cover the actual port up all the way but if I wedge the soundcard in there it puts a lot of pressure on both cards, I didnt even try forcing it in all the way because of the resistance.

I am out of USB ports yes, due to plugging in an Oculus Rift (5 usb ports) and flight sim equipment (4 usb ports joystick, throttle, etc), mouse, keyboard, xbox wireless controller... nothing too crazy but for sure its the Oculus Rift that is hogging all the ports.

Additionally, I think even USB 2.0 is routed over the same controller as USB 3.0 on Z270? This means that everything is starved for USB bandwidth and the board just cant keep up delivering USB 3 level throughput to all the oculus sensors.

elmor
Level 10
This card? https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/4-Port-PCI-Express-PCIe-SuperSpeed-USB-3-Contr...

It is only utilizing x1 PCI-E lanes, you wouldn't gain anything from enabling x4 lanes to that slot.