Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Shamino View Post
    please let me know exact model of display port cable you have!
    pinxx of Cable should be floating and not connected BUT some nameless companies made cables with them connected at both Ends!
    Hi Shamino,
    I bought my cables on-line don't remember the brand. Cables are labeled as "E301195" displayport. What do you mean by "pinxx / floating"?
    Was looking up the pinout specs, but could not find anything about that. Can you please point me to the source? Thanks.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array

Quote Originally Posted by roadczar View Post
    Hi Shamino,
    I bought my cables on-line don't remember the brand. Cables are labeled as "E301195" displayport. What do you mean by "pinxx / floating"?
    Was looking up the pinout specs, but could not find anything about that. Can you please point me to the source? Thanks.

http://hackipedia.org/Hardware/video...rd%20v1.1a.pdf

Page 196

See footnotes

Notes:
    1) Pins 13 and 14 must be connected to ground through a pull-down device. External devices and cable
    assemblies must be designed to not rely on a low impedance ground path from these pins.
    2) Pin 20, PWR Out, must provide +3.3 volts ± 10% with a maximum current of 500 mA and a
    minimum power capability of 1.5 watts.

Figure 4-14 shows the wiring of an external cable connector assembly. The standard external cable connector assembly must not have a wire on pin 20, DP_PWR.

Pin 20 sounds like a viable possibility. I bought all three cables at the same time so if there is a design flaw it would be repeated.

I will try and test the current cables for continuity this weekend. I also ordered a second set.

Thanks for the investigation and the link! I will let everyone know how it goes.
    Last edited by roadczar; 02-03-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Quick update, RMAd CPU did not correct anything - no surprise here...

Cables are next.
    Last edited by roadczar; 02-03-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Super Moderator Array

we have managed to replicate the issue

It is indeed crappy cables:

During standby:
    1 cable leaks 1.50v to mb/psu +3.3v
    2 cables leak 1.72v to mb/psu +3.3v
    3 cables leaks 1.89v to mb/psu +3.3v
    Worse is your VGA, 3 cables leak 2.7v to VGA - during standby!

the above are leaked thru pin 20. compliant cables (for eg Apple's branded DP cables) will not have pin 20 connected)
    So lesson is get the proper cables, even if we can solve the problems you dont want this leakage!

Wow Shamino good job man!
    It was a tough one since I have used the same setup for some time now without any symptoms. Kind of a crazy cable specification when think about it… Just asking for issues. …
    I definitely appreciate the efforts. For me it meant 3 motherboards, 4 PSUs, 2 CPUs, and 4 GPU water block re-seatings.
    Thanks so much!

New ROGer Array

the same problem

Hi all
    I have the same problem with my mobo, but unfortunately my mobo was not able to start, all time post CODE 00,
    and today I was leave all pc outside, where temperature is -2 celcius
    and mobo was start on the morning, but what i was found the bios reset button was press many times and also the battery was removed, and when I was start pc today morning mobo was still member the OC setings but i was go in to the bios and F5, to reset bios to default,
    this problably means on the mobo is some capacitor, which still keep some wrong parameters and when mobo was outside, this capacitor lost all current an was able too start, or is some "cold contact" and when mobo was frozen all connection is strengthened,
    I have also request can someone send to me the new bios which can help with post code error 00,
    and I'll still try to find what might be causing this error

and I was try too fund solution
    Quote Originally Posted by roadczar View Post
    Strange problem – every time I shut down post is stuck at 00 code when powering back up. Warm restarts are not a problem. I clear it by disconnecting power from the motherboard. System is 100% stable once powered up. Passes Prime95 with flying colors and all other benchmarks, mem test, etc. Using 1005 bios.
    Ideas?

See details of my build here:
    http://th10.roadczar.com/

Edit - added picture just to be clear.

EDIT 1/8/2012:
    I did a lot of testing and was able narrow it down to the “turbo mode”. Basically anything besides turbo=auto does not work regardless of memory settings or turbo ratio settings.

Here is what I have tried:

Load F5 defaults – 5 shutdown cycles - all OK
    Loaded recommended memory timings “11 11 11 31 2N” and tested 5 shutdown cycles for every speed from 1300 to 2400 (XMP) - all OK. (Turbo Ratio=AUTO)

Now the problem:

Setting Turbo Ratio to anything other than AUTO caused the code 00 cold start bug. Using turbo = auto mode PC runs at 3800 once it is booted up.

Even setting it to 33x100 causes the same issue.

If I disable turbo and limit CPU to 3200 all OK, but even at 3300 I get the code 00 cold start bugs.

Looks to me like ether the BIOS, the motherboard, or the CPU problem. I'm thinking BIOS.

At this point I tried all recommended scenarios and then some. Any other deas? Thanks!

Edit: 1/28/2012

Root cause found, but not solution
    I have two crossfired HD 6990s video cards and with three ASUS VE278Q monitors setup in Eyefinity configuration. The monitors are connected to video cards using three display port cables.

The monitors, video cards, and cable are all proven items from my prior build.

I have three following issues:
    1. I cannot switch to the second BIOS via the BIOS button - this happens even on default BIOS settings.
    2. Randomly disappearing USB 3.0 controllers – this happens even on default BIOS settings.
    3. Code 00 cold boot problem if any CPU related performance options (clock, blck, etc) are set to any values other than defaults. As I had stated previously anything besides turbo=auto does not work regardless of memory settings or turbo ratio settings.

Root cause:
    Disconnecting two of three display port cables resolves all three problems.
    It does not matter which of the two cables I disconnect or which of the two video cards I use. I have tried every permutation of video cards, crossfire settings, cables, and monitors with exact same results.

I still think it is somehow related to the chipset, motherboard, or the BIOS. Bizarre issue...

Ideas?

Sounds like a different issue from mine, but I sent you a PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9