cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX700 returned for repairs

patrioticalien
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I have a GX700, it has just been returned for repairs.

The Issue
Laptop GPU - i believe it, has started to die/died 😞 (Screen had crazy artifacts & lines showing up suddenly. Same day, Hydro dock started to omit a light short burning smell.
Powered It down, didn't even want to start up again - just the fans, laptop power light and docking connection beep which worked - no key inputs i.e function keys, no keyboard lights, no screen output internally or externally either by HDMI or by Thunderbolt.

Does anyone have an experience, with ASUS's laptop repair for the u.k. ? (First asus product, I have ever owned.)
I have read things on the internet, about ASUS repairs, Just thought maybe someone here can share their experience and insights 🙂

Former alienware user, overall very impressed by the GX700 🙂
Thanks and Have a good day!
11 REPLIES 11

Bill
Level 7
Hello patrioticalien
Is the repair successful? Are you experiencing any unusual behaviors with the returned unit?
Thank you

Bill@ASUS wrote:
Hello patrioticalien
Is the repair successful? Are you experiencing any unusual behaviors with the returned unit?
Thank you

Hello,
unfortunately i cannot say. It looks like it, has been lost, implied stolen before it - even made it to the repair centre. 😞
I am awaiting for more information from my retailer, which i hope to have soon.

Update as of 16:35 GMT: - Retailer has found it, was never sent. They can't find a box for it - since it includes suitcase.
They are hoping to have it, sent to repair center, sooooon....

P.s. I have had contact with one of your asus online reps, He has done an excellent job with follow up emails to me 🙂

patrioticalien
Level 7
GX700 Is still at the store, almost 30 days later - Issues with store and asus engineering center in the u.k., about procuring a shipping box for it.........
Been told, they will be unable to repair it within, their time frame of six weeks. It is going to be classed as uneconomical to repair, soon - so soon, it will be written off, sucks for me.... 😞

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
patrioticalien wrote:
GX700 Is still at the store, almost 30 days later - Issues with store and asus engineering center in the u.k., about procuring a shipping box for it.........
Been told, they will be unable to repair it within, their time frame of six weeks. It is going to be classed as uneconomical to repair, soon - so soon, it will be written off, sucks for me.... 😞

Have you been asking your store to send back the unit to ASUS repair and are you able to send it back to ASUS repair directly yourself if you're interested?

U.S. customers can normally send RMAs directly to the ASUS repair office, so wanted to run this by you in case your store was having any problems to arrange it, but if the unit is still covered under warranty, would expect it's worth getting fixed.

Not sure what the shipping policy is for your unit and location, but something to check or discuss with your local ASUS support too before you ship it in if you go this route.

Good luck!

cl-Albert wrote:
Have you been asking your store to send back the unit to ASUS repair and are you able to send it back to ASUS repair directly yourself if you're interested?

U.S. customers can normally send RMAs directly to the ASUS repair office, so wanted to run this by you in case your store was having any problems to arrange it, but if the unit is still covered under warranty, would expect it's worth getting fixed.

Not sure what the shipping policy is for your unit and location, but something to check or discuss with your local ASUS support too before you ship it in if you go this route.

Good luck!

This is my first ASUS product i have ever bought; In the past with Dell, Alienware and others: i would normally pay for additional service contracts with the O.E.M. Who would, send engineers out with the part(s) - if something would go wrong. Which normally, would eliminate/improve possible issues, which could happen in a scenario planing exercise like this. When i spoke to the retailer, i asked how long it would take. They (retailer) said it could take as long as it needed, if i sent it directly with ASUS. I didn't also want to be micromanaging it. Haven't got the time - If i sent it using the retailer, so i was told - They would have it repaired within 28 working days, they would also be micromanage it. Then, told me in the store - it normally takes around two and a half weeks for ASUS to repair it with them. This isn't a normal laptop - so i expected the longer wait time.

JustinThyme wrote:
Good lord brother!
Cant find a box? Thats gotta be the biggest load of crap I think Ive heard. Sitting there for a month? Oh hell no! Id be down in front of their store with a picket sign and leave a note for my wife that she may need to arrange for a bail bond!

It has a special suitcase, which houses and protects the water dock, laptop & PSU - when in transit. Issue was with the retail store and/or service center about measurement of the suitcase. It also required, a secure and protected shipping box - due to the rarity of the item. (only five where sold in the uk, so i was told) You could expect maybe a couple of times, being provided with an incorrect box, mistakes happen, we are all human - That, should of been fixed asap. Waiting 20 working days, then finally someone gets the measurement correct, hours of emails and phone calls later.... However, the worst case they, could of got some wood, created a box - after the first week, when someone should of realised it's not going to happen, drilled it together - packaged it in that, given that to whoever picks it up.

It did finally arrive at the repair center! However, it is at "[WB1] Wait for Material/Spare Parts" with no ETA on the parts. The odd's of this being written off now is 99.999% 😞

cl-Albert
patrioticalien wrote:

It did finally arrive at the repair center! However, it is at "[WB1] Wait for Material/Spare Parts" with no ETA on the parts. The odd's of this being written off now is 99.999% 😞

Glad to hear it made it to the repair center at least. Not sure if you want to follow-up with the store or repair center directly later if necessary, but ASUS repair cannot just keep your RMA indefinitely while it's under warranty and not arrange a 'fair' resolution.
Expect it should be repaired eventually since it's usually the most straightforward option for ASUS repair, but checking up with them occasionally may move it along a little faster sometimes.

You can also try to check with Bill@ASUS later on if there are any problems and just send him a PM with your RMA number and details if it drags on too much longer. Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Glad to hear it made it to the repair center at least. Not sure if you want to follow-up with the store or repair center directly later if necessary, but ASUS repair cannot just keep your RMA indefinitely while it's under warranty and not arrange a 'fair' resolution.
Expect it should be repaired eventually since it's usually the most straightforward option for ASUS repair, but checking up with them occasionally may move it along a little faster sometimes.

You can also try to check with Bill@ASUS later on if there are any problems and just send him a PM with your RMA number and details if it drags on too much longer. Thanks.

Bad news GX700 Has been written off.
Very disappointed, in the retailer; in regards to the conduct and handling of this. This isn't the place, for that discussion. However, the support provided directly by asus to myself has been great!

Thank you for responding and your input into this matter,

I'm trying to buy a ROG GX800, it's not so simple normally i would buy an additional warranty, which covers accidental warranty - i can do a lot of traveling. (never claimed on any yet) Unfortunately, the only re-sellers who has it are unable to provide such a service, I know one has spoken to asus UK about trying to find out if ASUS could sell me an accidental warranty package, which they have said they can't do. I have also asked another retailer to, find out of they can procure this system. (This retailer C has stated if they can, they should be able to provide a in-house accidental warranty) this will take a couple of weeks to find out if they can.

Is it possible you could help link me to a document or the appropriate people/department, i should ask for the U.K. market place which has the specifics of the warranty i.e. How many days/maximum time asus could keep the product under a repair, before they can replace it, and other questions. I've read the GX700 warranty information booklet countless of times over the past month and half 😛 Unfortunately, it doesn't have any of the specifics listed. This is only important if retailer C, is unable to procure one - i would have to buy it from another retailer A or B, who can't offer this required service, then use a third party insurance company, for the accidental cover which i'm not to keen on doing - It's a pain due to the high price tag of GX800 of £6600.

I need to make a informed decision, soon - I would love to buy the GX800, unfortunately it's that accidental warranty, Which is going to make or break this purchase.

Kindest Regards
Patrioticalien

cl-Albert
patrioticalien wrote:

Is it possible you could help link me to a document or the appropriate people/department, i should ask for the U.K. market place which has the specifics of the warranty i.e. How many days/maximum time asus could keep the product under a repair, before they can replace it, and other questions. I've read the GX700 warranty information booklet countless of times over the past month and half 😛 Unfortunately, it doesn't have any of the specifics listed. This is only important if retailer C, is unable to procure one - i would have to buy it from another retailer A or B, who can't offer this required service, then use a third party insurance company, for the accidental cover which i'm not to keen on doing - It's a pain due to the high price tag of GX800 of £6600.

If you didn't already know, I'm located in the U.S. and not familiar with the U.K. policies, so if you haven't already, it's better to check with your local ASUS support if possible and get something in writing?
You might also want to check with Bahz or Bill@ASUS from HQ if necessary, but hopefully your local ASUS support will be able to answer all your questions regarding warranty repair in your region. Thanks!

Yea check out Provantage they sell warranty's with onsite repairs. No Idea how it works or don't work. I got an extended warranty with out the onsite option.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro