cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 SSD Swap

Wongbob
Level 7
I am thinking about upgrading from the two 750gb hard drives that came in the laptop. After a shut down mishap last year something in the VBIOS changed the boot location from a hard drive to something else. Not sure what happened. Long story short I backed everything up to an external drive and had an IT buddy get away from the VBIOS and set it up with a standard BIOS that could be worked with. We reformatted the drives and removed the standard split partitioning of the drives and set it up in Raid 1 for redundancy in the event of a drive failure.

I know enough to get myself in trouble, but want to upgrade to SSD's to wake it up again. I know there is a lot of back and forth on SSD's and Raid setups. I like the idea of having redundancy to protect my files in the event of a hard drive failure. It is primarily my work laptop, but I also do some gaming with it. I am looking at the 500gb Samsung 850 Evo drives. Would it be beneficial in a Raid 1 setup?

Right now I cant decide if I want to spend $300 on a 3 year old laptop or just go ahead and buy a new laptop all together. The new 1070's look a lot better than this old 660m....
1 REPLY 1

kkn
Level 14
notebook section