cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Alpha Atheros QCA61X4A Dropping 5Ghz Wireless

j0nsasus
Level 7
Hello, I've done some digging around Google and the forums and I haven't seen much resolution for this issue.

I have a brand new Hero Alpha motherboard with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61X4A wireless adapter, and the 5Ghz connectivity on it is horrible. If I'm just browsing the internet I generally get about 5-10 minutes of connectivity time before the adapter drops the signal, if I'm downloading or playing a game, this turns into 2-5 minutes or less before the signal drops.

2.4Ghz doesn't seem to be affected as bad, but still has similar issues.

I've tried diagnosing my DHCP setup, set the adapter with a static IP, all to no avail. I have a Asus RT-AC68U router that has had 0 issues with any other device using both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I have an Asus UX301LAA Ultrabook with wireless AC and it has 0 issues on the wireless, sitting directly next to the desktop for troubleshooting purposes.

I've tried the driver update as some Impact threads have shared, but with little to no affect.

Main reason I bought the board was the OC capabilities and wireless, but I'm within my return window so if the wireless is a dud, I'll return for something else. Hoping it doesn't come to that.
11 REPLIES 11

zille33
Level 7
I'm actually having the same issue with my new Z270i strix mobo... it uses the same wireless chip. This thread is one of the only results google turned up. The error windows troubleshooter usually gives me when the wireless dies is 'dns server not responding' which is weird because I use Google DNS and none of my other devices have issues. Contacted ASUS support today. Have you had any luck yet?

I had the same issue (Z270E) with the QCA61x4A. The only thing what helped was that i used the driver from the CD (Packaged with the Motherboard). I tested all Driverversion from 12.0.0.XXX that i got, but the only work Driverversion is 12.0.0.260 from the CD.

My new build is a mini itx with no disc drive ha. 😞
I'll try my roommates PC to get the drivers from the disc though.

zille33 wrote:
My new build is a mini itx with no disc drive ha. 😞
I'll try my roommates PC to get the drivers from the disc though.

I have uploaded the drivers here: https://ufile.io/e615d

Thank you for uploading the drivers Tenshi! I rolled back to that version but unfortunately that did not fix my issue 😕
I even replaced my motherboard with a brand new one, issue still remains.

It has been 8 days since I filed a support ticket and no response from Asus. Any luck j0n?
I really like this motherboard besides this major issue, but if I can't fix it soon I will switch to MSI.

zille33 wrote:
Thank you for uploading the drivers Tenshi! I rolled back to that version but unfortunately that did not fix my issue 😕
I even replaced my motherboard with a brand new one, issue still remains.

It has been 8 days since I filed a support ticket and no response from Asus. Any luck j0n?
I really like this motherboard besides this major issue, but if I can't fix it soon I will switch to MSI.

Are you sure you have "12.0.0.260" for the "Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter
" installed in the device manager? I have no problems anymore since i have installed this version...

TenshiRiki wrote:
Are you sure you have "12.0.0.260" for the "Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter
" installed in the device manager? I have no problems anymore since i have installed this version...

Yep:

zille33 wrote:
Yep:

Sometimes the Driver is different as shown. Please look at "Driver Details". Is "Qcamain10x64.sys" the same?:

Asus brings currently the wrong WLAN driver on the support page for the Z270E (12.0.0.285). I get only the right driver (the best is 12.0.0.262) when i enter the hardware id on https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ (exclude the 12.0.0.278; it's not stable) or on the Motherboard-CD (12.0.0.260). When i install the wrong WLAN driver, the connection gets limited from time to time and i must reset the adapter. With the correct driver i get lags sometimes. All very strange.
I have a AVM FRITZ!Box 7490 and i have tried all combinations/settings to detect the problems.

It seems the QCA61x4A - WLAN - Chip has more than one hardware/driver revisions:

Z270E: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_003E&SUBSYS_86CD1043 - until 12.0.0.278
For the other: Other driver versions until 12.0.0.295

@Asus: Why has Asus the wrong driver for the Z270E on the Support - Page or what is wrong with Qualcomm!?