cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we even know GL502VM Thunderbolt 3 is working? Will Asus continue to support?

link626
Level 7
Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to run at 40gbps.

Not a whole lot of thunderbolt accessories are out right now, so there's no way to test whether the thunderbolt 3 is running at spec.

Also, the current firmware for GL502VM thunderbolt is really really old.... NVM version 4.0

Other brands are at NVM 18 already. Why is Asus holding back?

When will Asus update it?
3 REPLIES 3

Bill
Level 7
Hello link626
Do you know that an Thunderbolt update is released on 2016/12/21 for the GL502VM
You can find it in the link below:
https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ROG-GL502VM/HelpDesk_Download/
Thank you

Odysseus_
Level 7
Greetings Bill@ASUS. I am looking for clarification on the speed of the ports on my G752VL, particularly the Type C connection.

All four of the Type A USB ports on this laptop have the same markings, “SS,” which I believe stands for Super Speed meaning that they should run around 4.8 to 5Gbps on paper. Is this correct thinking??

Additionally, the Type C port has next to it an etched marking that reads “SS 10” which I believe on the surface means a USB 3.1 super speed port that can run up to 10 Gbps. The G752VL manual however, which also references the VT and the VY models, refers to this Type C connection as a “USB 3.1 Type C/Thunderbolt 3 Combo port.” Everything I have read to date has indicated or flat out stated that Thunderbolt 3 is capable of speeds of up to 40Gbps if the user has the appropriate and still very pricey 40Gbps capable “active” cable. My question is what data transfer speeds is the G752VL's Type C port cabable of?

Any additional information-I am sure- would be very helpful. Thank you.

Odysseus
ASUS G752VL -- i7 6700HQ -- GTX 965M -- 64GB DDR4 -- Windows 10 64 bit -- Editing Platform

Lower626
Level 7

It doesn’t run my TB interface at all. Just a fancy type c