Hybrid View

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

How do we even know GL502VM Thunderbolt 3 is working? Will Asus continue to support?

Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to run at 40gbps.

Not a whole lot of thunderbolt accessories are out right now, so there's no way to test whether the thunderbolt 3 is running at spec.

Also, the current firmware for GL502VM thunderbolt is really really old.... NVM version 4.0

Other brands are at NVM 18 already. Why is Asus holding back?

When will Asus update it?

ASUS HQ Service Rep Array Bill@ASUS's Avatar

Hello link626
    Do you know that an Thunderbolt update is released on 2016/12/21 for the GL502VM
    You can find it in the link below:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/RO...Desk_Download/
    Thank you

ROG Member Array Odysseus* PC Specs
    Odysseus* PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VL
    MotherboardASUSTek
    ProcessorIntel i7 6700HQ Skylake
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4-2132
    Graphics Card #1GTX 965M
    Sound CardLogitech Z5500 THX 5.1
    Storage #1SSD 960EVO 1 TB system drive
    Storage #2SSC 860Pro 1TB edit drive
    Headset Sennheiser HD6, 150ohm 8-30,000hz
    OS Win10 Home 1607, 64bit w/ Internet funciton removed

Greetings Bill@ASUS. I am looking for clarification on the speed of the ports on my G752VL, particularly the Type C connection.

All four of the Type A USB ports on this laptop have the same markings, “SS,” which I believe stands for Super Speed meaning that they should run around 4.8 to 5Gbps on paper. Is this correct thinking??

Additionally, the Type C port has next to it an etched marking that reads “SS 10” which I believe on the surface means a USB 3.1 super speed port that can run up to 10 Gbps. The G752VL manual however, which also references the VT and the VY models, refers to this Type C connection as a “USB 3.1 Type C/Thunderbolt 3 Combo port.” Everything I have read to date has indicated or flat out stated that Thunderbolt 3 is capable of speeds of up to 40Gbps if the user has the appropriate and still very pricey 40Gbps capable “active” cable. My question is what data transfer speeds is the G752VL's Type C port cabable of?

Any additional information-I am sure- would be very helpful. Thank you.

Odysseus
    ASUS G752VL -- i7 6700HQ -- GTX 965M -- 64GB DDR4 -- Windows 10 64 bit -- Editing Platform