cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1060 OC GTX Strix & Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura - Issue?

Numidis
Level 7
Hello everyone,

so i recently updated my Gaming-PC and replaced the old GPU and Motherboard with the 1060 OC GTX Strix and the Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura. Everything went fine as i am used to build and upgrade PCs for years now, especially for family and friends. The Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura runs the latest BIOS and the GPU is installed right. When i first turned on my Gaming-PC Windows 10 was loaded and listed all installed devices. However i will do a clear install of Windows 10 with the latest Drivers available. Besided i noticed something very strange. When my Gaming-PC is loading the BIOS of Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura the 1060 OC GTX Strix is spinning the three fans on full speed - after Windows 10 takes over and the latest NVIDIA-Driver is being loaded they get slower and finally turn off as intended and only turn on and off again under load. I have never experienced such a thing using Asus hardware. Is this normal, or is there something i might have overlooked? I suppose this could be a special feature of the Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura (could it be disabled?), an issue with 1060 OC GTX Strix BIOS (how to update?) or a defect (hopefully not). Furthermore i have another question. Even after upgrading my Gaming-PC i am affected by the annoying flickering-bug affecting the taskbars icons when interacting with the trash bin. As far as i know, this affects many people on different devices. Is there a legit bugfix or a workaround?

Your help is very much appreciated!

So long,
Numidis
1 REPLY 1

jj_langan
Level 7
Numidis wrote:
Hello everyone,

so i recently updated my Gaming-PC and replaced the old GPU and Motherboard with the 1060 OC GTX Strix and the Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura. Everything went fine as i am used to build and upgrade PCs for years now, especially for family and friends. The Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura runs the latest BIOS and the GPU is installed right. When i first turned on my Gaming-PC Windows 10 was loaded and listed all installed devices. However i will do a clear install of Windows 10 with the latest Drivers available. Besided i noticed something very strange. When my Gaming-PC is loading the BIOS of Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura the 1060 OC GTX Strix is spinning the three fans on full speed - after Windows 10 takes over and the latest NVIDIA-Driver is being loaded they get slower and finally turn off as intended and only turn on and off again under load. I have never experienced such a thing using Asus hardware. Is this normal, or is there something i might have overlooked? I suppose this could be a special feature of the Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura (could it be disabled?), an issue with 1060 OC GTX Strix BIOS (how to update?) or a defect (hopefully not). Furthermore i have another question. Even after upgrading my Gaming-PC i am affected by the annoying flickering-bug affecting the taskbars icons when interacting with the trash bin. As far as i know, this affects many people on different devices. Is there a legit bugfix or a workaround?

Your help is very much appreciated!

So long,
Numidis

I had the same issue. I fixed it by creating my own fan profile for the GPU in the UEFI or BIOS (whatever we are calling it these days). Just hit f5 to get into the UEFI on boot up and navigate to Fan Xpert to set you fan profiles for the GPU. I have my fans set at 0 until the GPU hits 55C then I set a fan curve from there. Hope this helps. I'm sure you can do this in the AI Suite 3 software too once windows has loaded.