cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Formula speaker noise/GPU issue

Kitesc
Level 7
I recently upgraded to a ROG Maximus IX Formula + 7700k.
Now i run into following problem:
When my GPU is under heavy load my speaker go crazy. They sound like a chainsaw.
My GPU is a Gigabyte GTX 780 ti.
I already tried using a different GPU( an old GTX 580) and diffrent PCIE slots but i run into the same issue.
When i used the integrated GPU from my CPU i had no issues at all.
I had the issue when i used my Focusrite 2i2 and with onboard sound.

If someone has an advice for me i would highly appreciate it 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
What sound configuration are you using?
Onbord or sound card? which output if onboard?
Did you install the drivers on the install in the correct order?
Post as much specific info as you can about your rig, its configuration and drivers.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

First i used a Focusrite 2i2 as my soundcard. It has an USB connection to my PC and is then connected to my speakers. After I noticed this strange sound I switched to
my onboard sound. I used the LIME colored output on the back. Same problem. Then i used my front audio output. Same problem there. I reinstalled drivers multiple times in this process.

My system is the following:
Board: Asus Rog Maximus IX Formula
CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
soundcard used: focusrite 2i2 OR onboard
PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 (850W)
Fan: noctua NH-D14
case: corsair air 540

Chino
Level 15
I own a Maximus IX Formula but haven't seen this issue.

Just wondering. Are you using a fresh copy of Windows?

OS is like 2 weeks old. Win10 with all updates. With headphones this issue is very small. You can only hear a squeaking noise when you close an application that requires a lot of GPU power.

I switched my PSU now to see if theres something wrong with it. Problem is still there 😞

At the moment i would guess its the motherboard but maybe someone here has an idea.

Edit: I tried using a balanced audio cable. no difference either 😞

JustinThyme
Level 13
There is something funky going on here. I can make a connection with the PCIe card if it's plugged into a slot that shares bandwidth with the GPU. But the front panel audio uses the SupremeFX chip and the lime connector in the back uses the same old Realtek chip that is several generations old now and both of these run through the *DMI bus down to the PCH controller.*

The only thing at is common to all of these is the PSU and it's totally possible your rails are sagging when the GPU gets loaded. If you have another PSU that would be worth a try. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Different PSU. Same issue.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Have you used different speakers? Shouldn't make a difference but the rest doesn't make sense either. Maybe your ASUS MOBO got offended when you put a GB graphics card in it?
I cant think of anything else to try that doesn't involve spending more money.

You have ruled out about everything that is hardware related except the speakers.

Using different speakers did not solve this problem. I ended up buying a Behringer HD400 Microhd 2 Channel Hum Destroyer and putting it between my soundcard and speakers. This fixed the problem.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Glad that took care of it but I would be looking for grounding issues with your electrical outlets if that solved the problem.