Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array isaacc PC Specs
    isaacc PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel 7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance 2x 16GB 3200
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #12x Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 250GB
    Storage #23TB Seagate Barracuda
    CPU CoolerMaster Cooler MasterLiquid Pro 280
    CaseThermaltake F31 Suppressor
    Power SupplyEVGA 750 GQ
    Keyboard Logitech washable
    Mouse Microsoft Sculpt bluetooth
    Headset Logitech G933 7.1 wireless
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo HT-S3800 5.1 system
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Accessory #1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
    Accessory #2 Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I wifi/bluetooth
    Accessory #3 NZXT internal USB hub

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Maximus IX Hero and M.2 wifi

    Does anyone know anything about the M.2 wifi connector on the Maximus IX Hero?

    On the motherboard schematic in the manual there is a connector shown in the upper-left hand corner called "M.2 WIFI". But then, there's no mention made of this connector anywhere in any documentation pertaining to the Hero. The connector is exactly where one would install an M.2 wifi module, and I imagine that is exactly the setup on the Code and the Formula versions of the Maximus IX.

    Especially odd is that I watched a couple of box openings on YouTube for the Hero and the backplate has the two holes where antenna ports would be installed. So, if you don't install a wifi module there, Hero owners would be left with two empty holes there. That is to say, I'm surprised that Hero owners haven't mentioned anything about it.

    But, supposing one did want to install a wifi setup there, for the life of me I can't find that anyone makes a kit, especially and including Asus. I found wifi M.2 cards but then you have to cobble together a kit of antenna leads, the antenna ports, and an antenna setup, etc.

    So, what is that connector good for? Does anyone have any more information about this M.2 wifi connector? Thanks.

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array mr.nonchalant PC Specs
    mr.nonchalant PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Hero
    Processori7 7700-K
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M4B2800C14
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING
    Storage #1Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" SSD
    Storage #2Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" SSD
    CPU CoolerKraken X62
    CaseCorsair 740
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W 80 PLUS Gold
    Keyboard Coolermaster Masterkey Pro White M Cherry Red
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterAsus PCE-AC88
    Accessory #1 Silverstone PWM Fan Hub

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the M.2 wifi connector on the Maximus IX Hero?

    On the motherboard schematic in the manual there is a connector shown in the upper-left hand corner called "M.2 WIFI". But then, there's no mention made of this connector anywhere in any documentation pertaining to the Hero. The connector is exactly where one would install an M.2 wifi module, and I imagine that is exactly the setup on the Code and the Formula versions of the Maximus IX.

    Especially odd is that I watched a couple of box openings on YouTube for the Hero and the backplate has the two holes where antenna ports would be installed. So, if you don't install a wifi module there, Hero owners would be left with two empty holes there. That is to say, I'm surprised that Hero owners haven't mentioned anything about it.

    But, supposing one did want to install a wifi setup there, for the life of me I can't find that anyone makes a kit, especially and including Asus. I found wifi M.2 cards but then you have to cobble together a kit of antenna leads, the antenna ports, and an antenna setup, etc.

    So, what is that connector good for? Does anyone have any more information about this M.2 wifi connector? Thanks.
    I thought I was the only one running into trouble finding a whole M.2 wifi kit to put there lol It is quite annoying Asus didn't bother giving the Hero the same one the code and formula come with but It wasn't enough to keep me from purchasing the Hero. I ended up just settling for Asus PCI-e wifi adapter.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/
    Last edited by mr.nonchalant; 02-13-2017 at 01:52 AM.

  3. #3
    Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    144
    Posts
    3,859

    The WiFi on the formula is actually disappointing. I liked the 3 lead 1.3Gbps WiFi on the M8E and going to 867Mbps with a newer generation board was a bit insulting. I actually put my antenna back in the box and disabled the onboard WiFi and BT and went with the ASUS PCe-88e and get *1.6 to 1.7 GBps easily. A bit of Careful antenna placement and I've tested it at 998 MBps throughout that hits the theoretical limit of wired GB Ethernet using LAN speed test with my NAS. I plugged it in the X1 slot between the Graphics cards.**

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array isaacc PC Specs
    isaacc PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel 7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance 2x 16GB 3200
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #12x Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 250GB
    Storage #23TB Seagate Barracuda
    CPU CoolerMaster Cooler MasterLiquid Pro 280
    CaseThermaltake F31 Suppressor
    Power SupplyEVGA 750 GQ
    Keyboard Logitech washable
    Mouse Microsoft Sculpt bluetooth
    Headset Logitech G933 7.1 wireless
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo HT-S3800 5.1 system
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Accessory #1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
    Accessory #2 Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I wifi/bluetooth
    Accessory #3 NZXT internal USB hub

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    I think (I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way) I found the actual wifi M.2 card that Asus is using:

    WNFQ-258ACN(BT)

    I don't know that Asus is actually sourcing from SparkLan but I think the wifi module is Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174A-5. It seems to exactly match the Asus specifications, including the driver.

    The Asus antenna module is available separately at NewEgg. And, then you have to buy the leads and antenna connector. So, in the end, at retail prices, slapping in an M.2 wifi setup on the Hero, brings the cost up to near the price of the Code. So, you might as well just buy the Code. But, I bet if a company put out a kit, it would be much cheaper than us buying the parts separately retail.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    I also spotted this on the user manual:
    1 x Clear CMOS Button
    1 x BIOS Flashback Button
    1 x M.2 Wifi Slot*
    1 x HDMI 1.4b
    1 x DisplayPort 1.2
    4 x USB 2.0 ports [black]
    4 x USB 3.0 ports [blue]
    1 x Anti-surge LAN (RJ45) port
    2 x USB 3.1 ports (1 x Type-A [red] and 1 x Type-C [black])
    1 x Optical S/PDIF out
    5 x Gold-plated audio jacks
    * The M.2 Wifi module is purchased separately.

    However there is no other mention about this module on the Asus website. At least I haven't found it yet, but I mean the Formulas always had it then the heroes just don't come with the fancy shroud at the front as the formulas and a couple of things, then nowadays the latest formula is another 100 quid more expensive than it used to be and the hero for what the formula used to be at. Why not just include the wifi anyways, I don't know. They will still make profit.

    Also would my wifi module from a maximus VIII Formula work on the IX Hero? I believe this to be the same one?

    Cheers!

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array isaacc PC Specs
    isaacc PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel 7700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengeance 2x 16GB 3200
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #12x Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 250GB
    Storage #23TB Seagate Barracuda
    CPU CoolerMaster Cooler MasterLiquid Pro 280
    CaseThermaltake F31 Suppressor
    Power SupplyEVGA 750 GQ
    Keyboard Logitech washable
    Mouse Microsoft Sculpt bluetooth
    Headset Logitech G933 7.1 wireless
    Headset/Speakers Onkyo HT-S3800 5.1 system
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Accessory #1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
    Accessory #2 Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I wifi/bluetooth
    Accessory #3 NZXT internal USB hub

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    I don't know what's on your Maximus VIII board. What's required is an M.2 form factor with the "E" key, the attached leads that go to the antenna ports, the antenna ports themselves, the antennas, and the driver. So, if you have in hand an M.2 stick with an "E" key, I don't see why it shouldn't work on the Maximus IX Hero. Having said that, I'm not an Asus technical representative and I'm just using my common sense, so be so advised.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc View Post
    I don't know what's on your Maximus VIII board. What's required is an M.2 form factor with the "E" key, the attached leads that go to the antenna ports, the antenna ports themselves, the antennas, and the driver. So, if you have in hand an M.2 stick with an "E" key, I don't see why it shouldn't work on the Maximus IX Hero. Having said that, I'm not an Asus technical representative and I'm just using my common sense, so be so advised.
    Oh yeah totally, Neither am I. However my common sense also tells me that that's the same type of M2 wi-fi and bluetooth (the qualcomm) and I don't see why that wouldn't work, it's just like adding another device where you would expect the drivers to work😆.

    I am sending my Formula for RMA since it died after a bios update. I may keep the M2 wifi.

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    43

    I asked Raja about it but that was on overclock.net and he'd never heard of it.
    Tad annoying as I was looking for one myself.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	63791

  9. #9
    ROG Enthusiast Array dannyboy292 PC Specs
    dannyboy292 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    Processori7 6700K
    Memory (part number)GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 16GB (2x8)
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 980 OC
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo
    Storage #2WD Black HDD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseNZXT Phantom 410
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RBG
    Mouse Corsair Vengance M95
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    46

    I threw a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 IN MY MAXIMUS VIII HERO and I now have wifi and bluetooth for about $40......http://ca.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/G...7D-I-rev-42#ov

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    43

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy292 View Post
    I threw a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 IN MY MAXIMUS VIII HERO and I now have wifi and bluetooth for about $40......http://ca.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/G...7D-I-rev-42#ov

    Problem is we shouldn't have to, the manual states that it should be able to be purchased separately and it's not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •