cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero and M.2 wifi

isaacc
Level 7
Does anyone know anything about the M.2 wifi connector on the Maximus IX Hero?

On the motherboard schematic in the manual there is a connector shown in the upper-left hand corner called "M.2 WIFI". But then, there's no mention made of this connector anywhere in any documentation pertaining to the Hero. The connector is exactly where one would install an M.2 wifi module, and I imagine that is exactly the setup on the Code and the Formula versions of the Maximus IX.

Especially odd is that I watched a couple of box openings on YouTube for the Hero and the backplate has the two holes where antenna ports would be installed. So, if you don't install a wifi module there, Hero owners would be left with two empty holes there. That is to say, I'm surprised that Hero owners haven't mentioned anything about it.

But, supposing one did want to install a wifi setup there, for the life of me I can't find that anyone makes a kit, especially and including Asus. I found wifi M.2 cards but then you have to cobble together a kit of antenna leads, the antenna ports, and an antenna setup, etc.

So, what is that connector good for? Does anyone have any more information about this M.2 wifi connector? Thanks.
37 REPLIES 37

mr_nonchalant
Level 7
isaacc wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the M.2 wifi connector on the Maximus IX Hero?

On the motherboard schematic in the manual there is a connector shown in the upper-left hand corner called "M.2 WIFI". But then, there's no mention made of this connector anywhere in any documentation pertaining to the Hero. The connector is exactly where one would install an M.2 wifi module, and I imagine that is exactly the setup on the Code and the Formula versions of the Maximus IX.

Especially odd is that I watched a couple of box openings on YouTube for the Hero and the backplate has the two holes where antenna ports would be installed. So, if you don't install a wifi module there, Hero owners would be left with two empty holes there. That is to say, I'm surprised that Hero owners haven't mentioned anything about it.

But, supposing one did want to install a wifi setup there, for the life of me I can't find that anyone makes a kit, especially and including Asus. I found wifi M.2 cards but then you have to cobble together a kit of antenna leads, the antenna ports, and an antenna setup, etc.

So, what is that connector good for? Does anyone have any more information about this M.2 wifi connector? Thanks.

I thought I was the only one running into trouble finding a whole M.2 wifi kit to put there lol It is quite annoying Asus didn't bother giving the Hero the same one the code and formula come with but It wasn't enough to keep me from purchasing the Hero. I ended up just settling for Asus PCI-e wifi adapter.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/

I think (I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way) I found the actual wifi M.2 card that Asus is using:

WNFQ-258ACN(BT)

I don't know that Asus is actually sourcing from SparkLan but I think the wifi module is Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174A-5. It seems to exactly match the Asus specifications, including the driver.

The Asus antenna module is available separately at NewEgg. And, then you have to buy the leads and antenna connector. So, in the end, at retail prices, slapping in an M.2 wifi setup on the Hero, brings the cost up to near the price of the Code. So, you might as well just buy the Code. But, I bet if a company put out a kit, it would be much cheaper than us buying the parts separately retail.

I also spotted this on the user manual:
1 x Clear CMOS Button
1 x BIOS Flashback Button
1 x M.2 Wifi Slot*
1 x HDMI 1.4b
1 x DisplayPort 1.2
4 x USB 2.0 ports [black]
4 x USB 3.0 ports [blue]
1 x Anti-surge LAN (RJ45) port
2 x USB 3.1 ports (1 x Type-A [red] and 1 x Type-C [black])
1 x Optical S/PDIF out
5 x Gold-plated audio jacks
* The M.2 Wifi module is purchased separately.

However there is no other mention about this module on the Asus website. At least I haven't found it yet, but I mean the Formulas always had it then the heroes just don't come with the fancy shroud at the front as the formulas and a couple of things, then nowadays the latest formula is another 100 quid more expensive than it used to be and the hero for what the formula used to be at. Why not just include the wifi anyways, I don't know. They will still make profit.

Also would my wifi module from a maximus VIII Formula work on the IX Hero? I believe this to be the same one?

Cheers!

I don't know what's on your Maximus VIII board. What's required is an M.2 form factor with the "E" key, the attached leads that go to the antenna ports, the antenna ports themselves, the antennas, and the driver. So, if you have in hand an M.2 stick with an "E" key, I don't see why it shouldn't work on the Maximus IX Hero. Having said that, I'm not an Asus technical representative and I'm just using my common sense, so be so advised.

isaacc wrote:
I don't know what's on your Maximus VIII board. What's required is an M.2 form factor with the "E" key, the attached leads that go to the antenna ports, the antenna ports themselves, the antennas, and the driver. So, if you have in hand an M.2 stick with an "E" key, I don't see why it shouldn't work on the Maximus IX Hero. Having said that, I'm not an Asus technical representative and I'm just using my common sense, so be so advised.

Oh yeah totally, Neither am I. However my common sense also tells me that that's the same type of M2 wi-fi and bluetooth (the qualcomm) and I don't see why that wouldn't work, it's just like adding another device where you would expect the drivers to work.

I am sending my Formula for RMA since it died after a bios update. I may keep the M2 wifi.

mr.nonchalant wrote:
I thought I was the only one running into trouble finding a whole M.2 wifi kit to put there lol It is quite annoying Asus didn't bother giving the Hero the same one the code and formula come with but It wasn't enough to keep me from purchasing the Hero. I ended up just settling for Asus PCI-e wifi adapter.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/

Apparently we are a few that was wondering the same thing. I too found it weird.
However I have my setup so close to my connection outlet that I prefer using a wired hookup . But it's a bit disappointing that Asus have opted NOT to include wifi with Maximus IX Hero. It is after all a higher tier board!?

I just got this motherboard and was wondering the same thing, so I emailed Asus tech support and they just sent me a link to this thread... it doesn't seem like they've put a lot of thought into this!

Anyway, based on the above few posts should I be able to just get an Intel 8265 NGW and be good to go? Or is there any other parts I would need to get with it?

Thanks!

CitizenKane wrote:
I just got this motherboard and was wondering the same thing, so I emailed Asus tech support and they just sent me a link to this thread... it doesn't seem like they've put a lot of thought into this!

Anyway, based on the above few posts should I be able to just get an Intel 8265 NGW and be good to go? Or is there any other parts I would need to get with it?

Thanks!

If you get an Intel 8265 NGW, you'll need also the coaxial cables, in my case where MHF-IV to RP-SMA models. Just pick 2 of them, and the external antenas. Coaxial cables should be easier to find and cheaper on any chinese shop, as well as the external antenas.:cool:

JustinThyme
Level 13
The WiFi on the formula is actually disappointing. I liked the 3 lead 1.3Gbps WiFi on the M8E and going to 867Mbps with a newer generation board was a bit insulting. I actually put my antenna back in the box and disabled the onboard WiFi and BT and went with the ASUS PCe-88e and get *1.6 to 1.7 GBps easily. A bit of Careful antenna placement and I've tested it at 998 MBps throughout that hits the theoretical limit of wired GB Ethernet using LAN speed test with my NAS. I plugged it in the X1 slot between the Graphics cards.**

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein