cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero - POST Time

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
Hello,

I am having some concerns about my new system taking a very long time to POST. Before I tweaked the BIOS, it was taking approximately 25 seconds to POST, as reported by Windows 10. I googled around and determined that DDR4 does some training on boot, and since my memory settings are stable I went into the DRAM Timings page and enabled the fast boot memory settings, and that helped reduce POST time some down to now 18 seconds. I still feel this is exceptionally slow, as my last board POSTed in about 10 seconds with very similar setup. IE - UEFI bios, no network stacks enabled, very slim and trimmed boot options. Why is this Z270 taking so long to POST? I don't know what else I can do to speed it up.
10 REPLIES 10

Praz
Level 13
Hello

18 seconds is not abnormal for a DDR4 based system. If a few seconds compared to a previous generation system is life altering use sleep mode instead of shutting down.

It really doesn't seem normal. I noticed when I disabled XMP, it is much faster and POST time goes down to what I feel is normal, 10-12 seconds. I googled and saw lots of posts about XMP2.0 slowing down boot times, and there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid it.

Does XMP Asus tweak adjust anything beyond memory frequency, DRAM voltage, and CAS latency? If not I will I try manually entering my RAM settings and see if it fixes the slow down.

Simply use sleep states as Praz has stated. Also the 'BIOS time' info in Windows 10 is farcical, not something you should really be paying attention to.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Yes Windows is installed in UEFI mode.

I won't be putting it to sleep, I prefer a proper shutdown and boot cycle. Like I said, by avoiding XMP and inputting the timings manually, I got my POST time cut in half. It used to take like 10 seconds from pressing the power button just to hear the PC speaker beep to indicate good boot, then another 10-15 seconds of staring at the BIOS display as it loads my SSD and HDD. Now, after disabling a bunch of things, it's so much faster. Like 3 seconds after pressing power button to beep, then maybe 5 seconds at BIOS. Sometimes, it's so fast that I get to the Windows login screen before my monitor can even register the BIOS. I'm happy. For the record, a big chunk of it was definitely XMP usage, the other big chunk was the DDR4 training setting in DRAM Timings. That's the key components to speeding it up.

KuraiShidosha wrote:

I won't be putting it to sleep, I prefer a proper shutdown and boot cycle. Like I said, by avoiding XMP and inputting the timings manually, I got my POST time cut in half. It used to take like 10 seconds from pressing the power button just to hear the PC speaker beep to indicate good boot, then another 10-15 seconds of staring at the BIOS display as it loads my SSD and HDD. Now, after disabling a bunch of things, it's so much faster. Like 3 seconds after pressing power button to beep, then maybe 5 seconds at BIOS. Sometimes, it's so fast that I get to the Windows login screen before my monitor can even register the BIOS. I'm happy. For the record, a big chunk of it was definitely XMP usage, the other big chunk was the DDR4 training setting in DRAM Timings. That's the key components to speeding it up.

"sometimes" is likely due to Hybrid shutdown.

Yes, stopping the system from ideally training when it should will also do that. I guess it depends what is more important to you. Stability or those precious few seconds!

The memory is stable, I don't see the point in wasting time doing "training" on every boot. And it is not hybrid shutdown, I specifically didable that on every Windows install by running "powercfg /h off" in command prompt once drivers are done installing. Hybrid shutdowns feel like wasted SSD writes when the system boots up so fast to begin with. Want to talk about real justification of cost vs benefit, 12 second cold boots and longer SSD lifespan sound worth it compared to 5 second hybrid boots and several gigabyte writes to the SSD every shutdown (not to mention slower suspends as well.)

KuraiShidosha wrote:
The memory is stable, I don't see the point in wasting time doing "training" on every boot. And it is not hybrid shutdown, I specifically didable that on every Windows install by running "powercfg /h off" in command prompt once drivers are done installing. Hybrid shutdowns feel like wasted SSD writes when the system boots up so fast to begin with. Want to talk about real justification of cost vs benefit, 12 second cold boots and longer SSD lifespan sound worth it compared to 5 second hybrid boots and several gigabyte writes to the SSD every shutdown (not to mention slower suspends as well.)

Like I say, if that is your personal incentive... Just as long as one appreciates that options such as MRC Fast Boot can have repercussions if used, and it's function isn't simply to increase overall boot times. These are genuinely reasons why people use S3.

KuraiShidosha wrote:

i am to expecing slow post times. can you detail what you did to reduce. i am not sure on 'training settings' ?
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Satin Black
Asus ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO Z270
Intel I7 6700K Skylake @ 4.5
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e NVMe SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB
Corsair RMi Series RM850i ATX Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series H110i

Can somebody point me to the right direction here? Mine takes about 30+ seconds. I have tried both sata ssd in raid 0 and now an m.2 drive. Just what the thread started said, after I push the power button it takes a good 10 seconds, then POST then windows.
See specs...