Level 7
Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS XI Formula

RAM: CORSAIR DDR4 3200mhz

CPU: i7-7700k

PSU: 750W Corsair

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Storage: 1 TB SSD, and a 250 GB SSD

NONE OF MY USB PORTS ARE WORKING OR PICKING UP MY KEYBOARD AND MOUSE.

My computer was running perfectly fine and well all until I decided to get the full potential out of my DDR4 Ram which is 3200Mhz. By default the Ram was set to something like 2200Mhz. I changed it to the option of DDR4 3200Mhz, saved it and rebooted. Everything worked fine all until I decided to restart my computer. After doing so I noticed my keyboard wasn't lighting up or working and neither was my mouse. I could not enter BIOs and could not use any of my USB ports. I spent 2-3 hours lookin for up solutions to this issue and proceeded to click the "RESTART CMOS" button which did nothing for me.

Every time I boot up my computer it shows the Asus logo and says to click "delete" to enter the bios (which i can't because my keyboard won't work) and then it will go onto a page telling me that I have no keyboard connected even though I do.

I've tried every single USB port on the back along with the front and I have even tried connecting a USB that's lights up when connected and it didn't do anything.

Called up Amazon and they are sending me a new motherboard tomorrow. All I have to do is send back the current one I have.

I personally think that me OC'ing the RAM to 3400Mhz may have caused a shortage or something on the Motherboard.

Turns out the only USB port working on my board and case is my USB 3.1 port. I'm only able to use my PC right now because I have a 4 port USB hub connected to that 3.1 port. I've tried downloading the new chipset driver but had no luck and I checked my device manager and it is showing this: https://gyazo.com/8efa070f16069e892943fbf34d1e8c67

Sorry for the long post but I'm really desperate and depressed right now since I literally just built this PC.
11 REPLIES 11

Korth
Level 14
I assume your mobo is a (Z270) ROG MAXIMUS IX FORMULA.

You apparently have one working USB port and it's enough to operate the computer ... there's a good chance you won't have to swap mobos because your existing one is just somehow misconfigured. If you need to swap/return any hardware at all, it'll likely be the DDR4. The default SPD profile was probably DDR4-2400, the fastest JEDEC standard natively supported by your i7-7700K iMC. You may need to bump a processor voltage to run your DDR4 faster - good idea to clear CMOS, reset everything to lame factory/stock settings, and methodically tweak performances for only one component at a time - there's many detailed overclocking guides and reviews online.

You should install BIOS 0701 (if you can), it vaguely promises to "Improve system stability". You'll probably have to change settings to enable/disable Legacy USB support, embedded USB ports, and wake-on-USB power management options. You may need to (re)install or update the chipset or USB drivers in Windows - it's actually not a bad idea to install all the drivers from the ASUS site, even though you don't actually need them all, because maybe a day will come that you do need something (like the processor iGPU) when something else (like your GTX1070 card) fails.

Install whatever Windows softwares/drivers might be needed for your USB devices - including keyboard and mouse.

Unplug all unnecessary USB devices (including your USB hub, any USB fan controllers, anything like the ROG OC Panel or ROG Front Base plugged into the ROG_EXT port, etc). USB audio devices are especially notorious for behaving badly or having lousy software which causes system faults. Plug your keyboard and mouse into the "dedicated" USB ports - leftmost side of the rear I/O panel under the PS/2 connector, keyboard at bottom, mouse right above it - don't use any chassis front-panel USB ports at all until you know your system is fully USB-stable.

Do you have any alerts, warnings, or error messages in your BIOS or WinOS about failed power management or failed USB initialization/enumeration? Are there any unusual Q-Codes?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I assume your mobo is a (Z270) ROG MAXIMUS IX FORMULA.

You apparently have one working USB port and it's enough to operate the computer ... there's a good chance you won't have to swap mobos because your existing one is just somehow misconfigured. If you need to swap/return any hardware at all, it'll likely be the DDR4. The default SPD profile was probably DDR4-2400, the fastest JEDEC standard natively supported by your i7-7700K iMC. You may need to bump a processor voltage to run your DDR4 faster - good idea to clear CMOS, reset everything to lame factory/stock settings, and methodically tweak performances for only one component at a time - there's many detailed overclocking guides and reviews online.

You should install BIOS 0701 (if you can), it vaguely promises to "Improve system stability". You'll probably have to change settings to enable/disable Legacy USB support, embedded USB ports, and wake-on-USB power management options. You may need to (re)install or update the chipset or USB drivers in Windows - it's actually not a bad idea to install all the drivers from the ASUS site, even though you don't actually need them all, because maybe a day will come that you do need something (like the processor iGPU) when something else (like your GTX1070 card) fails.

Install whatever Windows softwares/drivers might be needed for your USB devices - including keyboard and mouse.

Unplug all unnecessary USB devices (including your USB hub, any USB fan controllers, anything like the ROG OC Panel or ROG Front Base plugged into the ROG_EXT port, etc). USB audio devices are especially notorious for behaving badly or having lousy software which causes system faults. Plug your keyboard and mouse into the "dedicated" USB ports - leftmost side of the rear I/O panel under the PS/2 connector, keyboard at bottom, mouse right above it - don't use any chassis front-panel USB ports at all until you know your system is fully USB-stable.

Do you have any alerts, warnings, or error messages in your BIOS or WinOS about failed power management or failed USB initialization/enumeration? Are there any unusual Q-Codes?

The only error I am noticing is this https://gyazo.com/defc84343e3df9097a395069973834b4

I tried updating the Chipset from Asus and that did nothing, I couldn't even get into my computer until I came up with the idea of plugging in my USB hub to the 3.1 port. I took out the CMOS battery for a minute, put it back in and booted my PC and that did nothing,

I just recently updated my BIOS by connecting my USB with the BIOS update on it to my USB hub.

Couldn't find any USB Drivers for windows other than the Chipset driver on Asus's Driver website.

I just think it's odd that the only port working is my 3.1 which makes me think maybe when I change the DRAM to 3200Mhz something got fried? Still wouldn't make much sense since my RAM is DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Vengence LED.

Anything else I can do? Replacement motherboard? RAM issue?

SIDE NOTE: My PC won't turn off unless I hold down the power button on my case. Shutting down through windows won't work and neither will just pressing the button once. All it does is turn off my keyboard/mouse and monitors but the GPU/CPU Cooler are all still running. What the hell is going on?

Chino wrote:
Is your motherboard running the latest BIOS?

Yes I just updated it a few hours ago.

I updated the chipset drivers, and I'm currently running 1 x 16GB Ram stick.

Should I try restoring my windows completely? Anyone know how to do this or have experience doing so?

Noahg wrote:
Yes I just updated it a few hours ago.

I updated the chipset drivers, and I'm currently running 1 x 16GB Ram stick.

Should I try restoring my windows completely? Anyone know how to do this or have experience doing so?

Try connecting a USB pendrive to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard. Go inside your BIOS and see if the pendrive is being detected. You can press F12 to try to take a screenshot and the pendrive should show up for you to save. Or alternatively, enter the EZ Flash Utility and the pendrive should show up on the list.

i have the exact same issue with the Strix Z270F Gaming Mainboard.. pls let me know, if you could somehow solve the issue.

btw: restoring windows wasn't working for me.. so it will not bring you any change. I somehow feel, that it has something to do with bios, because even in bios, the usb 3.0 ports are not working (no device is being recognized - only the power supply for those ports work)

Im getting this exact problem.all was fine.then switched on the computer.started booting … 'no keyboard detected'
thought this wasn't gna be a major problem to fix.ive tried literally everything.by the way im an advanced computer technician,i repair pcs in my spare time.

usb's are getting power but no data connection
windows shuts down but pc wont power down.have to press and hold the power on button to switch off.

motherboard: asus rog strix x299 xe

anyone got a solution??????????hellllpppp

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just an FYI, messed up results are pretty much guaranteed when updating chipset drivers in place. Ive tried it a few times and something failed every time.
On a clean install you want chipset first then MEI then sound then graphics followed by everything else.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Just an FYI, messed up results are pretty much guaranteed when updating chipset drivers in place. Ive tried it a few times and something failed every time.
On a clean install you want chipset first then MEI then sound then graphics followed by everything else.

I downloaded the multiple Chipset from Asus's website multiple times. I even tried downgraded to the older version driver.

What driver is the MEI? Are you saying I should factory reset my Windows?

Could it just be my motherboard is faulty even though my 3.1 port works? Could I have fried my CPU when changing my DRAM frequency to DDR4 3200Mhz but not changing the voltage on my CPU?

So many possibilities and I'm scared.