cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i5 7600k vs i7 7700k on Z170 maximus VIII gene the results are in.

XZEMi
Level 7
The i7 7700k I purchased was decent
Good stuff: I got 5ghz at 1.32v as everyone talks about
Low down: Not worth the cost increase over the i5 not even for compiling video in my observations thats why I returned it. Quite frankly it was depressing and running slightly warm 28-40c+.

The I5 7600k I purchased also decent
Good Stuff: I got 4.9ghz on 1.28v 4.5 on 1.25v and no I did not bother optimizing the system it just worked yes 5.0ghz at 1.3v.
Low Down: Costs less than the i7 runs cooler and performs better per core 25-38c+.

The above tests performed with Corsair AIO H100i v2 with Antec Formula 7 Nano Diamond thermal compound.

I like to overclock dual cores. My favorite to date before the i5 7600k was the Sandy Bridge i3 550 on a maximus III gene @4.5ghz and yes I still have that one in the closet it is very special.

Just a heads up before going to a z270 build pay attention to where cooling fan connectors are located relative to how you want the build to look some boards even ROG boards have little design changes that can really give you an ah man I wish it were there instead moment.
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
How does 4 threads outperform 8?
Temps and ability to OC varies from sample to sample. you cant really say 38C is cooler than 40C (within margin of error) and if you topped out at 40C under heavy load with either sample you hit better than gold, like triple platinum! I can even do that with a custom loop and delidded CPU! It will idle and light load under 30C all day but as soon as I put a heavy load on its up to 60C and again, thats delidded.

The results of masses of others disagree with your results.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600K/3647vs3885

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

XZEMi
Level 7
4 threads typically will not outperform 8. The 4 cores on the i5 were overclocked to 4.5ghz and running cooler than the i7 and with less voltage. As slight as it may be the i5 performed the same as the i7. Hyper threading was not in the equation for obvious reasons. I guess disabling the hyper threading on the i7 would have resulted in lower temps and volts. And I added a + sign after each temp I was not giving a max there, just the average observed while using basic desktop apps. I feel the i5 could have been a better bin. I will go for a max OC with the i5 once I get it on the z270.

And the link you shared although good information their rating is based on the counts so they automatically claim a processor is better based on the fact on paper it says more threads. The Single core speed improvement listed on that link over the i5 makes sense since the i7 is out of box clocked at 4.2ghz with turbo of 4.5ghz