cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G551JW-CN319D - Repair and tunning

Ancuta
Level 7
Hi people,

This is my first thread on this forum and I need some advice with my laptop. First of all, I dropped it on the floor and I broke my DC power in jack and now it`s moving and I can hear a sound inside my laptop. I will have to open my laptop and I was thinking to do some upgrades also.

1. I want to buy an SSD and I saw on the internet that there`s a slot only of a half size mSata SSD. Can you recommend a reliable 256 GB one to buy?
Should I add an HDD Caddy and move my existing HDD in the adapter and add a 2.5 inch SSD on my current HDD slot? Is that more reliable?
Will my temps go higher with and SSD?

2. I want to get rid of my DVD-ROM as I don`t use it and I was wondering if I can instal some kind of cooling fan similar to HDD Caddy because everybody knows the GPU temp issues with this model ... If I can`t, can you recommend a great cooling fan pad?

3. I`m going to buy a Coollaboratory liquid ultra to change my thermal paste, is that a good choice?

4. Can I change my USB ports by myself or do I have to seek professional help?

Is there anything else that you would recommend doing if I'm going to open my laptop anyway?
I don't have a budget limit.

Thank you, guys!
7 REPLIES 7

Julskey
Level 10
Hello,

1. Does your laptop have a mSATA slot? Check your manual if it supports SSD. You can use a caddy, just make sure it is the correct thickness, but better do not do it. I have read before in this forum somebody fried a chip near the drive caddy he installed.

2. I think I only saw 1 laptop with replaceable odd into a cooling fan. I think it was Lenovo. Better don't do it as stated in 1.

3. If your temps are just fine, no need to repaste. You will lose warranty unless you let an authorized center to do it. Never touch a working machine.

4. Why would you want change your usb ports?

ZIXEL
Level 7
if u wanna add ssd in the available slot i upgraded this https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-HybriDisk-Software/dp/B00JF4CUG4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&... mydigialssd its a good brand

i dont recommedn you liquid ultra for many reasons google please

checks this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaRMs0Mmio same model

like julskjey i dont know why u want change usb ports
GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

My USB ports are overused and they don`t make a perfect contact anymore. if i have something inserted and move them just a little they disconnect ... I've tried fixing them with a screw, some pins were flat and i managed to pull them down but still it`s not working properly .

I have to change my DC in jack and I assume I'll lose warranty if I'm going to do that anyway and I have to clear all the dust gathered in time inside also.

I haven`t taken too much care for my laptop :(. DVD -rom is also screwed so that`s why i was considering a caddy.

Bottom line, i`d like to fix my usb`s and buy an msta ssd. Is this one ok https://www.amazon.com/256GB-mSATA-SATAIII-Upgrade-Version/dp/B013J87N2W. Will this increase my temperatures ?

Can you recommend an aftermark to test if my temps are in spec ?

Thak you

Julskey
Level 10
If you want to change your usb ports, better have a good repair shop do it.

Regarding the caddy, If you really want to use that ODD, check the thickness of your ODD and get a suitable caddy, I have a 9mm (or 9.5mm?) for my G752VT but I just used it for testing and data migration from my HDD to my 850 evo 2.5" drive. You should put an SSD in the caddy since I think it has a lower power consumption than a HDD which has a motor.

Regarding temp monitoring, you can use HWinfo for that.

Peter06
Level 7
Ancuta wrote:
Hi people,

1. I want to buy an SSD and I saw on the internet that there`s a slot only of a half size mSata SSD. Can you recommend a reliable 256 GB one to buy?

MyDigitalSSD half-sized msata on amazon

Should I add an HDD Caddy and move my existing HDD in the adapter and add a 2.5 inch SSD on my current HDD slot? Is that more reliable?

Yes it will be probably better and cheaper, but it also depends where do you live, you should search for caddy with internal switch and with caliper, because typical caddys a bit bigger so it is harder to put it in, but it will go if you'll push with more force.

Will my temps go higher with and SSD?

No.

2. I want to get rid of my DVD-ROM as I don`t use it and I was wondering if I can instal some kind of cooling fan similar to HDD Caddy because everybody knows the GPU temp issues with this model ...

No, there isn't such and if you unload dvd-rw and you will put there small fan there will be really small improvement, so it is not worth it.

3. I`m going to buy a Coollaboratory liquid ultra to change my thermal paste, is that a good choice?

I've tried it there is no real difference between ultra and gelid in this case and is really hard to full clean it, so you should better buy Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, maybe it will dry a bit faster than metal thermal paste but is much easier to scour and it doesn't conduct electricity.

Can you recommend an aftermark to test if my temps are in spec ?

Furmark+Prime

Thank you so far for your support.

Still need some advice. Is this HDD caddy reliable ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-SATA-Hard-Drive-SSD-HDD-Caddy-for-Asus-rog-g551jw-cn319d-K551LN-G752VY...

It says it`s for my exact laptop model. If not, can you provide a link with a better one ?

Can you also tell what 256gb SSD to buy for that caddy ?

I`ve done a little research and i don`t really want to buy a 256 gb half size msata as I`ve seen there are problems with them and lots of them stop working after a short while. I`d like to go with the caddy and a premium seller instead.

Compwxr
Level 9
Hello there!

1. I personally advise you to swap the HDD to the caddy as you'll need the main Sata3 port for the SSD to achieve max performance.

2. As stated before, it won't do any miracle. The only way I've found out to be effective was making intake mod directly to the cooler fan.

3. As stated before, you should go with a ordinary high quality TIM like Gelid or Grizzly Kryonaut.

4. You can repair it by yourself, just be carefull tightening the 4 clips in each individual usb port, if you do it to much you'll end up either with a short or a broken&twisted clip.
- Compwxr - Volter Team - Check us at http://voltground.com