cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the mic AND headphones on apple compatible headsets be used on an Asus laptop?

Von_Neumann
Level 7
Hi There,

I have an Asus Zenbook UX 501VW laptop which features a combo (mic / headphones) audio-jack port (i.e. one compatible with the four conductor plug shown here https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1001623. I also have a headset which is working fine with my iphone. I've been able to use the headphones from that headset with my zenbook, but I've never managed to get the headphones and the microphone in the headset working together (on the zenbook). I thought this should be trivial, but now I'm not even sure it's possible (and I've read many conflicting reports).

There seem to be three different sets of potential obstacles:

1) One is related to two standards of TRRS audio jack plugs: these being CTIA and OMTP Headset jacks on newer laptops http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2014/03/07/headset-jacks-on-newer-laptops/. I wasn't able to figure out which format is supported by the zenbook (or whether it is able to autosense, somehow) and whether it is the one used by Apple (CTIA, I believe).

The most info I've found was here: https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-85-1-1.html but I'm not sure how relevant that is, as it talks about phone products, rather than laptops

If the formats are different, would a converter such as this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I50B3O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vigli...
solve the problem?

2) The second (possibly related to the first) has to do with Realtek's HD audio manager. In some posts on the topic, I've noticed people get a 'headset' option when they connect their headsets (as in the image below)

I've tried both the latest version of realtek audio manager from realtek's page and the one that ASUS provides under downloads for the UX501VW, but the 'headset' option simply never shows up. So, should I be using a different version of Realtek, perhaps? If so, where can I download it from?

3) Finally, I've read that sometimes the apple remote, which is part of my headset, may be a source of issues?

If anyone would be able to advise / got this to work on their ASUS (or knows that it cannot be done), help / info to that effect would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
When you plug the jack in fully seated you get clear stereo sound? If it was a mismatch of standards you would need to pull the jack out slightly to line up some of the conductors and you'd get mono sound. If you don't have that issue then it's likely software or configuration related.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hey There,

Thanks for your reply.

I've double checked and I definitely get stereo sound when the headset is fully plugged in.

At the same time, my realtek audio manager shows the following when I plug the headset in:
i.e. the right option doesn't seem available?

I've spent several hours updating drivers etc. trying to get this to work, and while I'd be happy to keep on fighting (or indeed, get in touch with tech support), actually knowing that someone got both to work simultaneously would be much appreciated. Of course, if there was some sort of trick required to do so, I would be much obliged as well.

Thanks!

xeromist
I don't know whether you need a "headset" option to make it work. If you right click on the speaker icon in the system tray I think you should get options for playback and recording devices. From those two options you can set a default device and a default communication device, respectively.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for your continued help.

Here's a brief description of what happens when I follow your suggestions.

Right-clicking on the speaker icon in the lower-left corner of the screen and selecting Recording devices takes me here:

For each of the two devices I can then click on configure, which takes me to the next screen, where I select headset microphone:

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting any sound at all from either of the two options, i.e. the volume indicator
never moves an inch...

This is slightly odd, as I would have thought that one of these would be the inbuilt microphone, which I distinctly remember working some time ago... (possibly before I started updating all the drivers).

In terms of the properties of the two microphone devices. These show up, respectively, as:
and

So, on the surface at least, no red flags? Except nothing I say gets registered by either the headset microphone, or the inbuilt one... (this is both in the microphone test, as well as apps such as skype).

One more thing which may or may not be relevant: when I plug in the headset, no new microphone devices appear on the list, and none disappear, when I unplug it. Not sure whether this is what should be happening or not, but for info.

Thanks again for any further suggestions!

ps. When testing the microphone, I'm getting proper stereo sound through the headphones without a problem. So it's just the mic that seems to be malfunctioning...

The above got me thinking whether there's something fundamentally wrong with my microphone settings etc. ...

To try and get a handle on that I plugged in a simple / standard microphone:

I can choose the microphone option for this one, no problem:

Going through the exact same steps as above leads to good results / microphone working as it's supposed to:

My interpretation of which is that it's something to do specifically with the headset, that my laptop does not like?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

xeromist
Can you use a splitter to get a separate headphone + mice jack and use that other mic? I know it's not an elegant solution but at least it would allow you to communicate.

Hey there, and sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks also for your suggestion, which I could definitely try. And when you say splitter, I take it you mean something like this:

That said, since I know the headset microphone is working ok (as I use it with my phone no problem), then if your proposed solution worked, wouldn't that be an indication that the issues are related to the way the headset is wired, aka the CTIA / OMTP issue:

And hence, if the case, wouldn't a CTIA to OMTP converter allow me to use the microphone in the headset (instead of using the splitter and second mic)?

Obviously I can try both of these but was hoping to hear from someone who managed to get this to work... If only because of the lingering doubt about the realtek software not being compatible with a headset (on account of the headset option not showing up when new devices are connected to the combo port)...

Further suggestions would be gratefully received, and absent those, will probably either contact ASUS tech support directly or spend another £20 on cables / splitters to try and get to the bottom of this...

Thanks again for your help.

xeromist
Well, the main reason I was thinking of a splitter is that it would let you try different mics while using the earphone part of your existing headset. I know you said it works with your iPhone but I do find it odd that the clip on discrete mic does work. I wonder if that might be due to having a bigger sleeve contact area. In which case that might indicate a different TRRS order or perhaps the contacts inside of the jack are not positioned properly for your headset plug.

I agree it'd be easier to find someone that owns one and has done it successfully. Sorry I don't have one to try 😞

Many thanks again for your help - I appreciate it!

I just got in touch with ASUS customer support. I wasn't exactly blown away, I have to say - they were unable to advise whether the combo audio jack port was OMTP or CTIA (noting the technical specs don't indicate it, which I knew as I'd checked them previously), but did suggest this is likely to be a hardware issue (also suggested updating the drivers, which I did do previously).

When pressed whether a CTIA - OMTP splitter is likely to do the job, they said they thought it sounded likely, but could not give any guarantees (i.e. it may do, it may not :)).

They also asked if I checked the port with a different headset, which I should probably do as well. That said, all the other ones I have, have two separate jacks making buying a CTIA - OMTP splitter the easier next step. Ordering one now, will post if this solves the issue (or otherwise).

Thanks again.