Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad Razer SWTOR hard pad.
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys E4200
    Accessory #1 LG WH14NS40 BRD
    Accessory #2 Logitech G13

Sorry for the late reply, had to work this weekend and haven't had much time to work on this.

Quote Originally Posted by nikos xatz View Post
    try the new one kit 32gb with a Clear CMOS and left evrything on Auto to see if it post....
    Did this, and still wouldn't post with four sticks. Post codes were CC and 55 at one point with all four sticks in. As soon as I went back to two sticks, everything returned to 'normal'. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Does the system pick up all 4 memory modules at stock speed (2133MHz)?
    Negative. I can't even get to the BIOS with more than two sticks of RAM installed. Any combination of just two sticks works fine, and those show up in the BIOS at stock, but only if I just use two.

Quote Originally Posted by Itzycharles View Post
    just asking.... What bios are you running?
    The most recent one I can find on the website, 0701

Next step is to remove, inspect and reinstall the CPU and fan as bfollowell and robtherobot suggested, then see if I can get somewhere with the RAM.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions. If there's anything else I can check into that you think I may have overlooked, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm certainly not going to get offended for asking the obvious stuff either, so don't feel shy about asking.

ROG Member Array Valethar PC Specs
    Valethar PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 950 SSC
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 950 SSC
    MonitorASUS VS248H-P Black 24"
    Storage #1Seagate ST2000DM006
    CPU CoolerEnermax ETS-T40F-BK
    CaseThermaltake Armor Series VA8003SWA
    Power SupplyThermaltake TOUGHPOWER 850W
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Win 10 Pro

After examining the CPU and the socket, I could find nothing that looked damaged. PC still refuses to boot with more than two sticks of RAM in it.

In the OP, I mistakenly stated that I was using the gray sockets. This is incorrect, I had a brain fart on that one. The ones being used are B1 and B2. As soon as anything goes into any of the A sockets, the PC refuses to post, with only CC and 55 showing on the LED, rather than the usual march of codes as it works through it's diagnostics.

All four sticks of RAM work when used in the B sockets, in any combination, so I'm leaning towards the RAM being fine, but something amiss with the board itself. I suspect that the prior pair of 16 gig kits is also not to blame, which doesn't make me any happier.

Any other suggestions on what I should do or look for, before I inquire about an RMA via either Amazon or ASUS?

Again, many thanks for the help with this.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

If the use of only a single memory module in Channel A results in a non-POST, then something is amiss. You can try updating the UEFI to the latest with USB BIOS flashback. And you can even try configuring Maximus Tweak Mode 2 by using a memory module in channel B, applying the Maximus Tweak Mode 2 setting, save & exit UEFI, then once the board powers back up, enter UEFI, and press the power button to shut down the system (power off the PSU and let residual power drain). Insert a module into Channel A (use the corresponding slot to match the module in Channel B), then power back up. See if the board POSTs. If not, I'd RMA it.

Valethar PC Specs
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Win 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    If the use of only a single memory module in Channel A results in a non-POST, then something is amiss. You can try updating the UEFI to the latest with USB BIOS flashback. And you can even try configuring Maximus Tweak Mode 2 by using a memory module in channel B, applying the Maximus Tweak Mode 2 setting, save & exit UEFI, then once the board powers back up, enter UEFI, and press the power button to shut down the system (power off the PSU and let residual power drain). Insert a module into Channel A (use the corresponding slot to match the module in Channel B), then power back up. See if the board POSTs. If not, I'd RMA it.
    I'm currently running the most recent BIOS, should I roll back to the previous version instead? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you.

I'll give the tweak mode suggestion a shot and see what happens, then let you know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Valethar View Post
    I'm currently running the most recent BIOS, should I roll back to the previous version instead? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you.

I'll give the tweak mode suggestion a shot and see what happens, then let you know the results.
    Stay on the same UEFI build. Try the method I outlined with Tweak mode 1 and 2. Also try with System agent and IO voltage set manually to 1.25V, plus set DRAM voltage to 1.35V. Let me know if anything changes.

Valethar PC Specs
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Win 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Stay on the same UEFI build. Try the method I outlined with Tweak mode 1 and 2. Also try with System agent and IO voltage set manually to 1.25V, plus set DRAM voltage to 1.35V. Let me know if anything changes.
    Sorry for the late reply. A coworker decided to hand out free cases of the flu to several people, and unfortunately I was one of them.

How do I get the BIOS to allow me to change those voltages? None of the settings I've applied let me change anything in those fields, regardless of how I try (mouse or keyboard). Is there a master setting somewhere I need to reset in order to open up those options so I can alter those values? Should I use the 'optimized defaults' option in the bios to reset it all?

Just for the sake of completeness, I removed the cooler and replaced it, making sure to only lightly tighten it. I also backed the 4 screws for the mounting plate off to the point that everything is literally finger tight and easy to turn. Didn't make any difference in detection. I haven't yet pulled the whole shebang out of the case and tried booting it sitting on the table. I'll try that as well if you think it'll help.

Sorry for the late reply. A coworker decided to hand out free cases of the flu to several people, and unfortunately I was one of them.

How do I get the BIOS to allow me to change those voltages? None of the settings I've applied let me change anything in those fields, regardless of how I try (mouse or keyboard). Is there a master setting somewhere I need to reset in order to open up those options so I can alter those values? Should I use the 'optimized defaults' option in the bios to reset it all?

Just for the sake of completeness, I removed the cooler and replaced it, making sure to only lightly tighten it. I also backed the 4 screws for the mounting plate off to the point that everything is literally finger tight and easy to turn. Didn't make any difference in detection. I haven't yet pulled the whole shebang out of the case and tried booting it sitting on the table. I'll try that as well if you think it'll help.
    You simply type the required voltage into the box that says auto. Scroll down to the setting until the highlight bar covers it, and then type in the value. If you want to set SA voltage to 1.25, then thats what you type in. Be sure to type in the voltage correctly, otherwise, you could end up with a nasty dose of misadventure...

Same goes for the Maximus Tweak option, as that is a multi-choice option, you simply press enter or click on the auto box, then click/scroll to the setting you want.

After that, press F10 to save an exit UEFI, which will apply your settings.

-Raja

ROG Enthusiast Array

After examining the CPU and the socket, I could find nothing that looked damaged. PC still refuses to boot with more than two sticks of RAM in it.

In the OP, I mistakenly stated that I was using the gray sockets. This is incorrect, I had a brain fart on that one. The ones being used are B1 and B2. As soon as anything goes into any of the A sockets, the PC refuses to post, with only CC and 55 showing on the LED, rather than the usual march of codes as it works through it's diagnostics.

All four sticks of RAM work when used in the B sockets, in any combination, so I'm leaning towards the RAM being fine, but something amiss with the board itself. I suspect that the prior pair of 16 gig kits is also not to blame, which doesn't make me any happier.

Any other suggestions on what I should do or look for, before I inquire about an RMA via either Amazon or ASUS?

Again, many thanks for the help with this.
    I had this exact same issue (you have seen my post actually) and got to test my memory in a friends computer with his CPU, everything booted fine, but as soon as i installed my CPU on his motherboard, I experienced the same issues.

If you have a chance to test the CPU in another motherboard with you ram, do it. I'm hoping my issues get fix as soon as the new CPU arrives.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chevell65 PC Specs
    chevell65 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-H, ROG Maximus VII Z97
    ProcessorIntel 4790K 4.6GHz, Intel i5 8400, Intel e8600 Wolfdale, Intel Q9650 Yorkfield, Intel E6750 Conroe
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill PC3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 660 OC
    MonitorAsus 23"
    CaseCorsair clear case
    Power SupplyThermaltake
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterDLink DIR-655, Asus AC88

If you mean how to change the memory voltage you will need to change from XMP to manual in the memory settings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2