cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL553VE Aura keyboard backlight on linux

cabalbl4
Level 7
Greetings all,
I bought ASUS GL553VE laptop few days ago, mostly for specs to code using Ubuntu.

Linux is working almost fine there, however, there is no way to control the Aura keyboard backlight.
Is there any sort of tool to do that in Linux/Ubuntu?
Maybe a custom kernel driver?

I am wondering if Asus has some description of this Aura device/protocol.
3 REPLIES 3

Ifadeout
Level 7
cabalbl4 wrote:
Greetings all,
I bought ASUS GL553VE laptop few days ago, mostly for specs to code using Ubuntu.

Linux is working almost fine there, however, there is no way to control the Aura keyboard backlight.
Is there any sort of tool to do that in Linux/Ubuntu?
Maybe a custom kernel driver?

I am wondering if Asus has some description of this Aura device/protocol.

im on the same situation, GL553VD with archlinux working only de fnkeys of volume, the brightness keys I make it work with xbinds and a simple script...
For the keyboard backlight, there's one package out there "asus_kbd_backlight" that suppose to make it works... btw this laptop doesnt, hahha.
I did some search and found this "solution" that suppose to make it functional by parching the kernel... I cant try the solution by myself because of time right now 😞 if u do, please, tell me if that works !
The solution is barely new, so... if that receives a good attention, it could be a permanent/official parch 😄

bless!

Ifadeout wrote:
im on the same situation, GL553VD with archlinux working only de fnkeys of volume, the brightness keys I make it work with xbinds and a simple script...
For the keyboard backlight, there's one package out there "asus_kbd_backlight" that suppose to make it works... btw this laptop doesnt, hahha.
I did some search and found this "solution" that suppose to make it functional by parching the kernel... I cant try the solution by myself because of time right now 😞 if u do, please, tell me if that works !
The solution is barely new, so... if that receives a good attention, it could be a permanent/official parch 😄

bless!

I have GL553VW, i tested with 4.15 stable kernel and not working...its very frustating!!!!

For any of you who have found this thread recently, it is now possible to change back-light color on GL553VE using openauranb which can be found in this git-hub page..