cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone running a samsung 960 pro?

the_msp
Level 9
I've just installed a samsung 960 pro, the only way I can get it to boot is to have a dual boot with my old windows 7 SSD... means from power button to windows is over a minute but from OS selection to windows is about 1 second.

Disabling CSM I get an error that my GPU (nvidia quadro 450) driver isn't supported... have tried installing the latest driver for it when win 10 is booted.

Ideally I want to get rid of the win 7 image as it's corrupt anyway, and get my POST down as low as possible. I followed the M.2 guide for installation in UEFI mode.
24 REPLIES 24

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im running one on a M8E and M9F as boot partitions. Sounds like you are having issues with your boot manager.
Have you tired pulling the Win 7 drive and installing from a UEFI USB to the 960 pro?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

the_msp
Level 9
No Chino I want windows 10 only.

Yes Justin when installing 10 on the m.2 I had the other drives removed and followed Chino's guide for UEFI install (from USB ISO), after post however it returns to the UEFI without booting into windows.

the_msp wrote:
No Chino I want windows 10 only.

Yes Justin when installing 10 on the m.2 I had the other drives removed and followed Chino's guide for UEFI install (from USB ISO), after post however it returns to the UEFI without booting into windows.

Did you use a particular program to make your Windows 10 USB pendrive for installation? If so, which program and can you post a screenshot of the settings used?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
In the Boot tab in BIOS is "Windows boot manager" the first priority?

Ah sorry I can't remember - I did it when the "free" period of windows 10 ended which was like last July? And only got round to using it now...

the_msp
Level 9
Yes, it's the first priority - the m.2 doesn't appear in this list of options.

Chino
Level 15

the_msp wrote:
OK, think I'll do that... this doesn't seem too stable anyway as I tried to attach 5 documents to email last night and it took me like 20 minutes!

What do you recommend for creating the ISO?

The Samsung 960 Pro is probably the worst NVME boot drive one can use right now (as of 23 February 2017). It suffers from an annoying disappearing trick, and until Samsung fixes the issue it will continue. If you're interested in reading more about the issue, please view the link below;

https://tinkertry.com/supermicro-superserver-bios-change-can-cause-960-pro-and-evo-to-hide-heres-the...

A quick test to verify if your setup is affected is to reboot, go into the bios, change a minor setting, reboot and go back into the bios. It will not appear until the computer is shut down. You don't need to disconnect the power supply but the computer needs to be powered off for the 960 Pro to reappear.

Good luck!