Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    N551JW GPU Temperature Cap Raise

    I recently found out that my GPU 960M on my N551JW Asus laptop is starting to throttle at 74C. Whenever i am in game for couple of minutes the GPU runs at 1096 MHZ and after that it goes down to 600-800MHZ making huge fps drops.
    Is there any way i can raise this temp cap?

    I used GPU Z to find out the reason for lowering the clock speed and it was indeed the temperature. I have reinstalled the drivers from scratch (clean install). Tried to set fan speed to max but for this card its not possible.Also I was scrolling through forums and i found out that there was some kind of vBIOS update. Talked with NA and EU Asus support they told me that i shall do it on my own risk. Atm my BIOS version is 202.

    Thanks for the help. Have a great day.

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Exclamation Im intersted in the same exact issue

    Hello there, i have the same notebook and ive been trying to figure also why the FPS drops (on CS GO and Overwatch), looks like you found the issue.

    So first id like to know the same as you, how to remove the cap? Also, id like to know if this would be the same as overcloaking?

    second, i would like to know the risk of this (i would do it anyway) and any advice then to keep the temperature down? after the cloaking? thanks in advance

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Bump.
    Anyone could tell me if it is a high risk to do the flash of ROM vBIOS update?

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by xalekx View Post
    I recently found out that my GPU 960M on my N551JW Asus laptop is starting to throttle at 74C. Whenever i am in game for couple of minutes the GPU runs at 1096 MHZ and after that it goes down to 600-800MHZ making huge fps drops.
    Is there any way i can raise this temp cap?

    I used GPU Z to find out the reason for lowering the clock speed and it was indeed the temperature. I have reinstalled the drivers from scratch (clean install). Tried to set fan speed to max but for this card its not possible.Also I was scrolling through forums and i found out that there was some kind of vBIOS update. Talked with NA and EU Asus support they told me that i shall do it on my own risk. Atm my BIOS version is 202.

    Thanks for the help. Have a great day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkit0 View Post
    Hello there, i have the same notebook and ive been trying to figure also why the FPS drops (on CS GO and Overwatch), looks like you found the issue.

    So first id like to know the same as you, how to remove the cap? Also, id like to know if this would be the same as overcloaking?

    second, i would like to know the risk of this (i would do it anyway) and any advice then to keep the temperature down? after the cloaking? thanks in advance
    Have you guys checked that the fan's & heatsinks are clear of any obstructions even small i.e. dust etc.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by patrioticalien View Post
    Have you guys checked that the fan's & heatsinks are clear of any obstructions even small i.e. dust etc.
    I tried blowing air from the part where the RAM and HDD is towards the air exhaust , cleaned the part where the laptop takes air from( the mesh).

    Only thing i have left to do is completely opening the case, taking the fan away from the place where it stands and air blowing it as well as blowing compressed air on that heat sink ( the copper thing that helps with the heat reducing i don't know how it is called).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •