cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoyingly Long Boot Times Please Help

rob3342421
Level 7
Hello I am having issues with my computer where it is taking a long time to boot.

I have:
ASUS Z170 Deluxe (BIOS 3007)
Intel i5 6600K
8GB Corsair DDR4 (P/N CMK8GX4M2B3000C15)
ASUS GTX780 DCU2
then a number of HDDs & SSDs for storage OS on my Samsung 950 evo or something like that.

So basically my issue is that from turning on the machine, the computer goes into an ASUS splash screen that tells me that I can go into BIOS. It holds here for about a minute then goes to the Windows loading screen.

I have made a post on another forum & threads that you can find below but no fix yet unfortunately.So if you're looking for a fix to this issue, maybe check those out. I'm posting here to try and get some additional advice as I have managed to go from about 4 mins to about 1 min to get through to Windows.
OP on LinusTechTips Forum
ASUS Forum Thread

Here are some videos I've made about it to help diagnose the issue.
Original Video (boot at 4 mins)
Second video, (boot at about 1 min)

If you can think of anything that I have overlooked or could try, please let me know as this is an ongoing issue and I believe it should be much shorter a time to boot! Thanks! 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

THX1139
Level 7
Try unplugging the HDDs (leaving the SSD with OS on it connected, of course). I had a similar problem and it turned out to be one of the HDDs.

Also, did you try booting on single RAM DIMMS? This is not the same as testing the memory in Memtest or whatever; there may be nothing wrong with the memory but rather some way that the motherboard is interacting with it during start-up; you have to test them singly.

Bahz
Level 12
How many HDDs do you have? Did you ever try and plug in just your SSD and see if your system will boot up faster?

Edit: THX beat me to it or I just type too slow 😛

It looks like someone else in the Linus forum suggested that to you but you didn't respond to him

Bahz
Level 12
Also I must lock thread since similar topic exists, you know we try to reduce the amount of similar topics.

Please continue discussion at the other thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86275