cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme CPU FAN led ON

Fedoteh
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I'm posting here since today I woke up, started my pc, and found that my CPU fan wasn't spinning properly. After a while, I decided to look up into a CPU temp sofware to check out if this was impacting my CPU temps. I didn't have more than 49 degrees (I'm in a cold place thanks to air conditioner). Nevertheless, I decided to take out the FAN and clean it up. Once I had a clean fan (or at least it looked like it was good to go) I connected it back again and since then, I have a "CPU FAN" led on. "No worries" - I thought. Proceeded to remove the fan again and try to boot up the system again. Nothing changed. All I see when I press the Start button is a "00" code in the mobo display, and that CPU red light on.

I've tried:

* Removing all the RAM sticks
* Unplugging all the cables from the IO panel
* Clearing CMOS
* Removing the battery
* Switching the BIOS to its secondary.

anyway, my system was running seamessly since at least 5 years now. I made all the BIOS updates accordingly, and never ever had a problem with it. I know most people will ask me to disarm the entire thing but I seriously doubt I have a component failing. It is pretty obvious that the problem comes with the CPU fan, BUT:

I need to understand if NOT having a CPU fan connected is a problem and if it's expected to have this behavior (not posting, just 00 code).

I'll ask a friend to lend me another fan, but could the CPU be burned?! Could the mobo be damaged? Is it common that the mobo doesnt POST without a CPU fan connected?

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If the CPU fan stops spinning the board will not post normally...will give a CPU fan error warning.

However 00 often means something more serious with CPU. Given you have cleared CMOS and removed battery. When you say removed battery I presume with all power removed from the board? Maybe unplug PSU and remove battery for a few hours.

However I am wondering if I understand correctly...you were running CPU with no active cooling? This can be disasterous. Plug a working fan to CPU fan header after leaving board with no power and no battery for a good while...and then clearing cmos...then try to power up.

Also try a different PSU if you have one.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
However I am wondering if I understand correctly...you were running CPU with no active cooling? This can be disasterous. Plug a working fan to CPU fan header after leaving board with no power and no battery for a good while...and then clearing cmos...then try to power up.

Also try a different PSU if you have one.

Hey! First of all, thanks for responding me. I'm going nuts here as my only hobby is to play videogames, hehe. Look, as soon as I saw that the fan didn't spin properly that morning, I shut down the system and proceeded to remove the fan, clean it, and then install it again. Ever since, the mobo shows a 00 code. I only removed the fan, not the heatsink. Then I inserted the cleaned fan again and as I said, bam... 00 code. Now it doesn't matter if the mobo has the fan connected or not, the code will pop up anyway. That's why I'm wondering if its common that the mobo doesn't even POST without a CPU fan connected. I think that the system didn't run for more than 5 minutes without a CPU fan spinning properly. I mean, I've heard some noises, realized it was badly, downloaded a software to check temps (temps were ok) and proceeded to shut down the system ASAP.

Anyway, I'll try to take out the CPU and insert it again in a few hours. Probably I moved it a little while taking the fan out, but I don't think so

Fedoteh
Level 7
Ok, I've tried a different fan, which is an intel stock fan for an older platform. But nevertheless, I've connected it into another FAN pins (not the CPU), and the fan spinned normally. When I connected it to the CPU FAN pins... nothing happened. I think that somehow, my CPU FAN pins are screwed. I'm not sure whether there's a "controller", or a circuitry, or how does that work, but certainly that's the problem. The mobo keeps showing me a red light in the CPU FAN led, and the code remains 00 even after dismantling the entire thing and putting it back again (clearing CMOS, etc). Is there any way to force the mobo to use another pin for the CPU fan?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not if you can't get into BIOS...in BIOS you can set board to ignore fan but it sounds like something has gone a bit wrong there.

😞

Need to test CPU in another board or board with another CPU...

You are right Arne. Next week I'll schedule an appointment with a hardware store to get things tested. Unfortunately I'm from Argentina and here this socket is not common at all so none of my friends could give me a hand with that. I'll try to update the thread as soon as I get my results, but I'm afraid something is really broken.

JustinThyme
Level 13
00 is probably not your CPU fan. Even with a dead fan it will still come up so long as you have a good heat sink that can keep the CPU out of thermal overload.
I've experienced the 00 twice, once was corrupted BIOS, would not even let me into the secondary BIOS and the other was a failed CPU. 00 means the board is doing precisely nothing and not even attempting to post.

Its very possible that if you pulled the fan from the HSF with it still mounted that the CPU got tweaked and bent in the corners or pins.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Fedoteh
Level 7
Hey Justin. Yes, it could be that I ****ed up my CPU, but then, why do I have a CPU FAN led on and why my fans wont spin when I connect them to the CPU FAN header? I mean, when I start the board, besides from the 00 code, all fans spin correctly. I even asked for a stock fan of a friend which is working properly. I tested the fan in another header (not the CPU) and it spinned correctly. The only explanations I found are:

1- I've bent somehow my CPU and screwed it. Now the mobo detects a failure and won't even try to spin the CPU fan (if there's any)
2- Somehow, the CPU FAN header/circuitry/controller was fry, therefore the mobo detects an issue with the CPU header and doesn't even try to post (a protection feature for the CPU I guess)
3- I could probably transmit static to the mobo and fry something in it.

All 3 options are bad, but the secondary looks like the only one with a "fix" possible. At this point, I even left the mobo 24 hours without energy or anything connected and cleared the CMOS. Nothing changed. It still returns the same error. And I doubt someone in Argentina could check/fix any problem THAT specific with my CPU header. I guess I should send the board to Asus to fix it which would have a really high cost. At this point I'm starting to consider getting a Maximus IX Hero but I have literally no money lol

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Given the events leading up to the fault code, it would be my guess that something has been damaged along the way. As suggested, take it to a system integrator and have them test it for you.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090