cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would 6 sticks making a total of 24GB RAM work ok on the Rampage V Edition?

Sylver123
Level 9
HI, I am wondering if 6 sticks of DDR4 RAM, same model making a total of 24 GB RAM work ok on the Rampage V Edition? I have normal quad channel pack of 4 sticks but recently one of the sticks went faulty and so I decided to buy the same RAM again. I now have 3 spare sticks of the exact same RAM. I am thinking of using 2 sticks to give me a total of 24 GB RAM. Will this work in the correct RAM channel mode? Have I got it right that I cant really us the 3 sticks because it wouldn't be in the correct RAM channel mode then because of the last black slot left needs to have RAM stick in it for the correct RAM channel mode. Using 2 sticks is ok because its a pair?
Intel i7 5960X @ OC 4.5GHz, Asus R5E, XSPC AX360, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4-3000MHz, BeQuiet 1200W PSU, Cooler Master Cosmos 2, Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP, Creative X-Fi Titanium, 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0, 2 X Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB RAID 0, LG BH10LS30
5 REPLIES 5

In a nutshell, never mix two or more different sets of RAM unless you enjoy blue. Every "set" has matching granular specifications that will never match another set. At the "bit" level between your CPU and RAM, your memory controller expects the RAM to be exacting. If it's not, it will cause memory issues and cause your OS to crash, sooner or later.
CPU: Intel i7-5960X
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 CL15
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
CD/BR Drive: ASUS BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
GPU: 2x (SLI) GTX Titan X (Pascal)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Zx
SSD: (RAID 0) 2x Intel 730 Series 480GB
SSD: (backup) Crucial MX100 512GB
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Silver)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W 80+ Gold
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 144hz 1440p G-Sync

Menthol
Level 14
Silver123, it may work, I am not sure what that would do to how the memory system work, as far as more memory on 2 of the 4 channels, can you use the new kit and RMA the bad kit, (I have never RMD memory but I hear GSkill is good about it)? then if it does work you would have all 8 memory slots filled, and if not you either sell one kit or have a backup kit.
Unless you have a need, 16GB of memory is more than enough for normal use, most new kits have twice the capacity, but most of that goes unused

kaese
Level 10
As already stated it probably needs some tweaking to get your salad bowl of RAM sticks working. Still you wont have quad channel bandwidth so it is not preferred. Of course it always depends on your needs (and dual channel RAM is still faster than using a swap file on a hard disk). I personally would seek for another solution.

Sylver123
Level 9
Thanks guys for responding to my enquiry. I'll probably just not bother then if it's going to take more tweaking etc to get all sticks working stable.
Intel i7 5960X @ OC 4.5GHz, Asus R5E, XSPC AX360, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4-3000MHz, BeQuiet 1200W PSU, Cooler Master Cosmos 2, Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP, Creative X-Fi Titanium, 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0, 2 X Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB RAID 0, LG BH10LS30