cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Slots not working.

Maglev
Level 9
Hey guys, just finished the build, set the loop, and bam.... The B1 memory slot does not work. Setting the Rampage Tweak Mode 1 in the DRAM Timing Control did not help.

I am using the Trident Z 3200 Mhz, 32 Gb, 4 set.

It took me a long while to figure out because it seems like I also got a faulty set where only 2 pieces work.

Basically- If I stick 2 working ones into the A1, C1, or D1; all of those points function giving me 16 gb of memory in Bios and working LED indicators. If I try the other 2 sticks separately, or in conjunction with the working ones, it still only get the 2 previous working and nothing else.

I also assume A2,B2,C2, and D2 are not even meant to be used unless you already occupy the other 4 previous slots, correct?

Any suggestions, guys?
This is a really nasty situation where it is hard to figure what is more messed up, the mobo or the sticks... However, I am absolutely
positive that the 2 confirmed working sticks do not function outside A1, C1, and D1 slots. The B1 and the rest give no response but code "53". Such a huge pain in the ass to dissassemble all this now...
10 REPLIES 10

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
1) Reset the CMOS

2) Test each stick individually in slot D1 to confirm all sticks are operating.

3) Check for over-tightened screws surrounding the CPU socket and memory

4) Remove the CPU whilst inspecting the socket for any bent pins

5) Reattach the CPU with even mounting pressure.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would reseat the CPU and check for bent pins in the socket.

Not sure how you are cooling but make sure you don't over tighten and make sure you evenly tighten whatever you have down onto the CPU.

If that doesn't solve it sounds like you have a combination of bad slots and bad RAM so getting RAM replaced is necessary...just make sure you are methodical...test each stick in each slot to make sure you have a map of bad slots and confirmed bad sticks.

sigh... Yeah I i think I over-tighten the hell out of it. I didn't remove the water monoblock yet, but I remember that I had an issue setting it in, due to the film that has to be punctured to use the CPU mounting holes.

What bent pins am I looking for though? The pins on the bottom of the CPU and the pins sticking out of the socket that get attached to the bottom of the CPU? Is it ok to touch them if they are bent?

sigh... Yeah I i think I over-tighten the hell out of it. I didn't remove the water monoblock yet, but I remember that I had an issue setting it in, due to the film that has to be punctured to use the CPU mounting holes.

What bent pins am I looking for though? The pins on the bottom of the CPU and the pins sticking out of the socket? Is it ok to touch them if they are bent?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK well carefully remove and check the mounting. Yes, the pins are the tiny little array that make contact with pads on bottom of CPU...they are very delicate....you can work on them with magnifying glass, pin and very steady hands. Hopefully wont be needed though. Sounds like CPU might be displaced by block...but check it all and start again....should not have to force anything or do anything more than hand tighten stuff...

Checked all the memory sticks in the 4 memory slots that the mobo manual assigns: A1 B1 C1 D1. (A2B2C2D2 do not work for some reason)
2 memory sticks work in all of those except for the B1.
The other 2 sticks don't work in any of those slots.

--------------------------------------------------------------
As for the fact of the assembly...

Ehhh... Hard to describe what I am seeing, and taking a picture will not be descriptive enough since this scale is too small to capture properly.

The structure of the socket is made of 2 areas where one encapsulates left and top, and the other area encapsulates right and bottom portions of the square socket.

ALL of them are seemingly bent. All of them are leaning down at around 45 degree angle.

Aren't they supposed to be that way? Tbh I don't remember whether they were like that when i was installing this the first time. The mechanism that locks the cpu into the socket also requires quite a bit of force to begin with.

Also, some caveats I want to add on what I discovered after i disassembled the system:

Issue 1: I've put WAY too much thermal paste on the chip. So what happen due to that was the thermal paste bleeding all around the edges when I compressed the water monoblock on top of the chip and the socket.
I also got some thermal paste leaking into that hole on top of the CPU:

-what i did right now is, I used the 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol solution to clean all of it. I got some on the socket and what is worse, i got some on the connecting pad side of the CPU. I cleaned all of that with the 99.9 alcohol and a q-tip, and the compressed air.

Issue 2: the first time I was tightening the screws for the water monoblock on the back of the mobo, I scratched the surface, and seemingly a circuit. I do not know how severe it is, it looks pretty small, but I see the reddish color of the copper wiring that was previously hidden by the mobo material. I am not sure what that thing is responsible for, but I don't think I cut something off. No idea how much of a problem that could be.

(EDIT: God damn... On the 2nd picture here, I think I can trace the damaged section leading right to the B1 slot PCB. Could anyone confirm it? I labelled everything in red.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So to sum it all up, does any of that could affect the the B1 slot for the memory sticks? I have a ton of things I did very wrong, but the additional assembly mistakes i discovered, did not really inhibit the functioning of the system aside the damn memory slot ...
-----------------------

Maglev wrote:
Checked all the memory sticks in the 4 memory slots that the mobo manual assigns: A1 B1 C1 D1. (A2B2C2D2 do not work for some reason)
2 memory sticks work in all of those except for the B1.
The other 2 sticks don't work in any of those slots.

--------------------------------------------------------------
As for the fact of the assembly...

Ehhh... Hard to describe what I am seeing, and taking a picture will not be descriptive enough since this scale is too small to capture properly.

The structure of the socket is made of 2 areas where one encapsulates left and top, and the other area encapsulates right and bottom portions of the square socket.

ALL of them are seemingly bent. All of them are leaning down at around 45 degree angle.

Aren't they supposed to be that way? Tbh I don't remember whether they were like that when i was installing this the first time. The mechanism that locks the cpu into the socket also requires quite a bit of force to begin with.

Also, some caveats I want to add on what I discovered after i disassembled the system:

Issue 1: I've put WAY too much thermal paste on the chip. So what happen due to that was the thermal paste bleeding all around the edges when I compressed the water monoblock on top of the chip and the socket.
I also got some thermal paste leaking into that hole on top of the CPU:

-what i did right now is, I used the 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol solution to clean all of it. I got some on the socket and what is worse, i got some on the connecting pad side of the CPU. I cleaned all of that with the 99.9 alcohol and a q-tip, and the compressed air.

Issue 2: the first time I was tightening the screws for the water monoblock on the back of the mobo, I scratched the surface, and seemingly a circuit. I do not know how severe it is, it looks pretty small, but I see the reddish color of the copper wiring that was previously hidden by the mobo material. I am not sure what that thing is responsible for, but I don't think I cut something off. No idea how much of a problem that could be.

(EDIT: God damn... On the 2nd picture here, I think I can trace the damaged section leading right to the B1 slot PCB. Could anyone confirm it? I labelled everything in red.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So to sum it all up, does any of that could affect the the B1 slot for the memory sticks? I have a ton of things I did very wrong, but the additional assembly mistakes i discovered, did not really inhibit the functioning of the system aside the damn memory slot ...
-----------------------

It's likely you've damaged the board installing the monoblock.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JustinThyme
Level 13
The perception of the pins is hard to distinguish, however in most conditions what you will be looking for in the bent pin dept are those few that are not laying correctly with the orientation of the rest.

Board traces are usually pretty durable but that looks like a pretty good gouge. Any disruption of even a single connection will render that slot useless. This can be repaired but takes a very specific skill set and the right tools for the job, not to mention an extremely steady hand.

Board looks like it got wet in a few pics.
Full cover blocks are a bear to get on and a bear to do anything with period. If you decide you want to change CPUS to a 6900 or 6950X all that has to come back off again. I had one on my M8E from the get go and never tested my loop without it. I was a bit disappointed with the 30L/hr flow rate especially with dual D5 pumps in series. The full cover block is in a box now. Removing that and going with just the EK EVO block and cooling for the rest on a IX formula then adding 2 GPU blocks to the mix I about crapped when I fired it up and my flow rate is now in the 120L/hr range at full speed! Even with the pumps dialed down to 60% at idle temps (running an Aquaero controller) I still get 80L/hr. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

It is not wet, it was on a paper piece soaked in Isopropyl.

I really dunno what to do now lol. So the pins are not upright standing?