cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX - Soundquestion - pls help!

JoergH
Level 7
Hi,

Can anybody check how your SupremeFX detects your Gear and write it here (with the information which Speakers/Headphones you use and what SupremeFX detects)?

I am not sure if my active Speakers are detected correctly, so i want to informations from other active-Speakers and if they are all so detected at more then 110 Ohms and Plify-Level "Extreme".

I have some active Speakers (Mackie CR4) connected to my back-audio-port.

And i have some headphones (Steelseries Syberia V2) connected to my Front-Panel...

The Software detects my Speakers-/Headphone-Impedance automaticly and says that my Headphones are under 51 Ohm and set the Plify-Level to the lowest Setting (Performance).
When i looked at my active Speakers, it says that they have an Impedance of more then 110 Ohm, and he set the Plify-Level to "Extreme" (the highest one)...

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

robtherobot
Level 7
I noticed that the auto-detect settings for impedance were incorrect on my Strix 270G with the different headphones I had tested. It seems like there could be a driver bug with the S1220 codec on these new boards. I don't have any active speakers to test with here at the moment.

Same thing here. I really dislike these drivers. I would like to be able to set things manually and not have it overridden everytime.
Headphones auto adjusts to ''performace'' and active speakers to ''extreme''. Are active speakers even supposed to be adjusted to the highest amplify level?!
When I switch between speakers/headphones the software keeps the current impedance and don't detect the new impedance.
Also, when using headphones from front panel and speakers from rear panel the ''..two different streams" playback setting doesn't work correctly after restarting the computer.

JustinThyme
Level 13
What needs to be taken into account is the supreme FX sound is not meant to drive passive speakers or as an analog low level input to active speakers. The detect is looking for headphone speaker coils, not an input circuit to an active amplifier. Its not a driver issue, its a matter of attempting to use supreme FX technology for a purpose other than its design. Active speakers input circuit are also by design meant to have a high impedance for isolation and are supposed to be connected via line level input, not an already amplified output.

Attempting this set up is the worst possible choice you have out of many.
For just adding the active speakers with no further hardware the green output on the back is the best source.
You can add a PCIe sound card and use that output.
Me, I use the Toslink optical out into an external 24 but 192 Kbps DAC that is also a headphone amp then RCA line level input from the DAC to my active speakers.

I dont use the Suprme FX at all and trying to figure out how it has anything to do with the rear output as that is driven by the Realtek chip and drivers.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
What needs to be taken into account is the supreme FX sound is not meant to drive passive speakers or as an analog low level input to active speakers. The detect is looking for headphone speaker coils, not an input circuit to an active amplifier. Its not a driver issue, its a matter of attempting to use supreme FX technology for a purpose other than its design. Active speakers input circuit are also by design meant to have a high impedance for isolation and are supposed to be connected via line level input, not an already amplified output.

Attempting this set up is the worst possible choice you have out of many.
For just adding the active speakers with no further hardware the green output on the back is the best source.
You can add a PCIe sound card and use that output.
Me, I use the Toslink optical out into an external 24 but 192 Kbps DAC that is also a headphone amp then RCA line level input from the DAC to my active speakers.

I dont use the Suprme FX at all and trying to figure out how it has anything to do with the rear output as that is driven by the Realtek chip and drivers.

No one here is talking about passive speakers. Are you really saying that active speakers aren't meant to be used with supremefx, even tho it's the most common set up?
If the software/driver is automatically changing to the incorrect setting then yes it is a driver issue.
What are the many choices? Buying a soundcard or external DAC isn't the kind of solution people expect.

JoergH
Level 7
Sorry, but connecting activ Speakers to the rear is the most common setup...
I now tested 3 Speakers (activ) - 2 Logitech + 1 Mackie - Amplify-Level detects more than 110 Ohm - "Extreme"...

Ok, this seems to be normal - so i leave it as it is...

JoergH
Level 7
And an other question is, if i can damage the Mainboard or the speakers when i have to run the Amplifier at "Extreme"-Level...

I would say "No", because is think the only thing this setting does is, to raise the volume of the sound-output.
So, i put the volume in my Windows down or put the volume down on the speakers, and i am fine...

But i am not sure and this "feature" didn't work as it should be - the correct setting for active speakers should be "performance", and not "extreme"*

JoergH wrote:
And an other question is, if i can damage the Mainboard or the speakers when i have to run the Amplifier at "Extreme"-Level...

I would say "No", because is think the only thing this setting does is, to raise the volume of the sound-output.
So, i put the volume in my Windows down or put the volume down on the speakers, and i am fine...

But i am not sure and this "feature" didn't work as it should be - the correct setting for active speakers should be "performance", and not "extreme"*

Should be performance for speakers. But it auto sets to extreme.
I noticed that without using any driver (windows default driver) the sound is the same as having extreme amplify level.
Can you switch between headphones and speakers without any problems? It doesn't work correctly here, doesn't matter if I try to use different outputs or the same output I always end having to restart the computer to make it work.

JoergH
Level 7
Yes, i can switch without problems... what exactly didnt work at your PC?

JoergH wrote:
Yes, i can switch without problems... what exactly didnt work at your PC?

The option 'make front/rear output devices playback two different streams' adds a separate playback device for the headphones. Using that you should be able to keep both headphones (front panel) and speakers (rear panel) connected at the same time and switch from windows playback devices which one you would use.
This stops working for me everytime I restart windows, no sound comes from the headphones even with windows sending the audio to the headphones output device. If then I change the output device to speakers, sound will come from speakers but also from headphones. To fix that I need to revert and apply all settings from Realtek software again.

To avoid that issue I'm using only the rear output for both with the default playback settings. To make the cable switching easier I use a small extension audio cable, but everytime I switch headphones/speakers cables the Realtek software fails to detect the change and re-read the impedance. For example, when I'm using headphones (51 ohm on the software) and switch to speakers, no sound comes from speakers and the software remains with the headphones impedance. The solution for this is either restarting the computer or removing and plugging again the extension cable from the rear output.