cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC takes 7 seconds longer to boot with a SATA drive added?

Jimlad
Level 7
Hi Guys,

i am running a Hero IX and use a m.2 evo as the primary drive. when i added my WD 3TB data drive it has added a further 7 seconds to boot times. Anyone got any tips or bios settings that will get rid of this delay?
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Satin Black
Asus ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO Z270
Intel I7 6700K Skylake @ 4.5
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e NVMe SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB
Corsair RMi Series RM850i ATX Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series H110i
8 REPLIES 8

FDSage
Level 10
I'm using an M.2 SSD and two HDDs myself and it takes a pretty long time for my PC to boot. I won't be surprised if there's no way to speed it up, but if there is a way, I'd like to hear it.
I turned off Fast Boot in the bios and it seems to be about a couple seconds quicker, ironically. Maybe you could try changing that setting and see if it makes any difference.

drop4205
Level 12
Verify the boot sequence in bios is set to m.2 windows boot drive first. I have m.2 and 2 other drives but in my boot sequence i only have windows boot drive showing and removed the other 2 drives from it
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
Repeat after me
'I REALLY LOVE ALL MY ASUS PRODUCTS, CANT BE BEAT"

Repeat slowly at boot time and by the time you are done so is the extra few seconds.

Its not so much as it is the SATA drive as it is an antiquated spinner. It will be compounded if its a 5400 rpm drive. It has to spin up and look for a boot file unless you go into the BIOS and make sure the drive is not in your boot sequence period you'll have to wait.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Brighttail
Level 11
You can go into windows and change in the BOOT section to do a partial initialization. Basically you want to choose only the booting hard drive to be loaded at boot. The computer should then boot into windows and initialize the other hard drive after it is in windows.

The reason it is taking longer is your computer has to send a signal to the slower hard drive, have it slightly spin up then send a signal back as the drivers are loaded. SSD's don't need to spin up so it is faster.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

hello,

thanks for the info, sorry to be a pain but where do i do this?

i have looked in disk management and boot, but cant see where i would change this. it is no bother formatting if i need to as everything is backed up

JustinThyme
Level 13
Partial initialization has nothing to do with the difference when you attach a spinner. All partial initialization does is rearranges boot items. You get to desktop faster but then the same things still have to load and now you wait even longer as they are loading with the OS already up.

Your delay is being caused before it even gets to the boot sector. Look in your BIOS under boot tab and disable everything but your boot drive so its not looking on the spinner also disable CSM but this may cause you issues if you didnt load the OS with it set to CSM disabled.

The caveat to this is you will have to go set it all back to the default values if you want to boot from the USB, DVD or any other device.

One more alternative is to scrap the spinner and use an SSD instead or store your media on a NAS.

If it was me Id just leave it. Not worth the hassle of 7 seconds. You've already expended enough time chasing 7 seconds to get a years worth by simply checking the messages on your phone instead of obsessing over the splash screen being up a little longer. This is one thing I've just never understood. 5 minutes to boot, OK legitimate gripe. 37 seconds instead of 30? In the grand scheme of things a few more seconds on boot has nothing to do with performance, using a spinner instead of an SSD has a monumental hit on performance.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

hi guys,

i turned off 'fastboot' and i am now down to 21 seconds boot time. which is getting better. why is it longer with fastboot enabled 😄

so any other tips to improve boot times? someone mentioned turning off memory tests but i am not sure where this is done?

Jimlad wrote:

so any other tips to improve boot times?

Installing Windows in UEFI mode and disabling unused devices.