cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Recommendations

cerbero
Level 7
Hi there ROGgers! 🙂

I would like to get some advice, regarding brands and frequency of RAM.

I currently own a ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mobo and an i7 6700k Intel processor.

Which ones are the best / recommend for my build?

(Sorry for my english, since it isn't my main language.)
12 REPLIES 12

panzlock
Level 12
Information on your MB and type of RAM it supports: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/specifications/

You'll want to find the fastest RAM (Mhz) with the lowest CAS latency. For example 3200Mhz with CL14 would be better than 3000Mhz CL16. You'll want this at the best price and quality.

As for RAM manufacturers you can choose between Mushkin, Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, G. Skill and GeIL. These are the heavy hitters on the RAM scene, with GeIL the new kid in the North American market. I almost bought the GeIL White Dragon RAM to complement my white Z170-A but the prices rocketed up from $104.99 CAD to $172.00 CAD when the RAM became popular. So far Kingston (old build) and G.Skill (new build) are working very well for me. These are the two I would recommend, however I also heard great things about Mushkin and many on this forum use Corsair, as well.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Realize also that although the MB supports OC RAM to 3800MHz it does not mean the CPUs IMC will also work together.
The i7 6700k officially supports up to 2133Mhz so you may have to Tweak your Primary Timings in Bios and your XMP profile may not work. It can be a frustrating exercise without guarantee so if you choose OC RAM, make sure you can return them if they don't play fair.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Realize also that although the MB supports OC RAM to 3800MHz it does not mean the CPUs IMC will also work together.
The i7 6700k officially supports up to 2133Mhz so you may have to Tweak your Primary Timings in Bios and your XMP profile may not work. It can be a frustrating exercise without guarantee so if you choose OC RAM, make sure you can return them if they don't play fair.

RAM speed is dependent on MB support. The 6700K will handle RAM above 3400Mhz. It will be defaulted to 2133Mhz initially, but with XMP enabled the advertised speeds will be achieved. Or it can be tweaked manually.

If someone is unable to clock their RAM above 2133Mhz chances are;

1.) the MB doesn't support speeds above 2133Mhz,
2.) 2133Mhz is the max frequency of the RAM,
3.) RAM modules are defective, or
4.) MB is defective.

It has nothing to do with the CPU.

Also keep in mind that RAM speed doesn't provide very noticeable gains. If you're benching and want to one up your best friends step sister then you want highest speed at lowest possible latency. Otherwise, this:

http://techbuyersguru.com/gaming-ddr4-memory-2133-vs-26663200mhz-8gb-vs-16gb?page=1

I'm sorry but I understand little about RAM... 😞

Checked out Kingston website and they have a memory search system, based on your current MoBo.

Regarding my MoBo, they recommend the following:

- FURY Memory Black - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR4 2666MHz CL15 DIMM
- FURY Memory Black - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR4 2400MHz CL15 DIMM
- FURY Memory Black - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR4 2133MHz CL14 DIMM

Which one should be the best?

cerbero wrote:

Checked out Kingston website and they have a memory search system, based on your current MoBo.

Your best bet is to consult with your MB QVL which lists tested RAM at differing frequencies and you can be assured they will work.
Go here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO/4L-DRAM_QVL_table_0615.pdf?_ga=1.10132...
Kingston are a quality assured manufacturer that many people trust.
As there are many RAM kits being released every month it is a good idea to update your Bios when new Bios becomes available.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

cerbero wrote:

cerbero,
Personally I stay away from memory frequencies that change the blck frequency from 100
Out of those 3 kits I would purchase the 2400mhz kit, google the memory kits you are considering and you may find online reviews to read and help you be more informed on your purchase
Make sure you purchase one kit with the capacity and speed you want, don't purchase one kit expecting to purchase another kit later to increase capacity at a later time as mixing kits even of the same brand and speed is not a good idea

Menthol wrote:
cerbero,
Personally I stay away from memory frequencies that change the blck frequency from 100

How come?

Don't mean to take away
But wouldn't the GSkill Trident Z RBG ROCK?
Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
Quad Module 8x4 CL14 DDR4 3200

Menthol wrote:
cerbero,

I'm sorry but I don't understand.
Like I said, I don't understand much of RAM...

The only thing I know, is that higher frequencies (only achievable by OC) are faster.
Although, nowadays it doesn't have much impact on performance.