Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisChild View Post
    Clear the CMOS and then test accordingly.

If you can verify that there are no bent pins, then it's either defective memory slots or the CPU IMC.

I'm leaning towards a bad board since B1/2 seem to be performing normal.
    I'm going to check the CPU with Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool, maybe there's something wrong with its IMC as you said.

Thanks!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array qwertz PC Specs
    qwertz PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V
    Processor5930k @ 4.6
    Storage #1500gb evo 850 raid0

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    This is pretty much what he is saying, using B channel only, however this is a work around and not a resolution. I'm thinking he wants to use all 4 slots.

Im with pulling the CPU and checking. Not sdo much as bent pins as warped PCB. These chips are getting so thin that it only takes a little too much pressure and the outer corners will bend upwards. Had a similar incident and when I pulled the cpu and laid it across a straight edge the upward bend was more than obvious. Wasnt too difficult with just a little pressure to bend it flat again. Just have to be careful you dont snap it. Ive heard of others using a heat gun/hair dryer to heat it up first then bend it back. If it get bent a substanial amount it will bend the pins down too, recovery from that is slim to none. I liked the old days where the pins were on the CPU, those were easy enough to fix and realign with a little effort.
    It surely is small surface for 1000+ contacts
    Is it also possible that it can push some pins too down and short circuit if tightening screws?
    On LGA2011 i have used multiple times even screwdriver to get little extra torque applied and no problems so far.
    Surely there are all sort of cooling kits, some may support pressure more evenly others less even.
    Last edited by qwertz; 02-21-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Will the forum bugs get fixed?

ROG Enthusiast Array

UPDATE:

I'm getting a replacement mother tomorrow after I'd RMA this one, this would be my 3rd mother. Got the 1st one from amazon with a bent pin out of the box, now this one that started behaving strangely after a week... I'm hoping 3rd time is a charm... all in all I'm quite disappointed at ASUS.
    Last edited by Gabrielmage; 02-22-2017 at 02:08 PM.

ROG Member Array Valethar PC Specs
    Valethar PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 950 SSC
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 950 SSC
    MonitorASUS VS248H-P Black 24"
    Storage #1Seagate ST2000DM006
    CPU CoolerEnermax ETS-T40F-BK
    CaseThermaltake Armor Series VA8003SWA
    Power SupplyThermaltake TOUGHPOWER 850W
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad Razer SWTOR hard pad.
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys E4200
    Accessory #1 LG WH14NS40 BRD
    Accessory #2 Logitech G13

If it makes you feel any better, I have the same problem. Only I was told I couldn't get any help from ASUS because I had two 16 gig kits instead of a 32 gig kit, so I had to eat a $50 restock fee just to find out that nothing changed when I used a single 32 gig kit.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am with ASUS at present.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I feel the same, extremely disappointed at them. If this goes wrong again, i might as well get a Gigabyte.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Valethar View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I have the same problem. Only I was told I couldn't get any help from ASUS because I had two 16 gig kits instead of a 32 gig kit, so I had to eat a $50 restock fee just to find out that nothing changed when I used a single 32 gig kit.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am with ASUS at present.
    Just out of curiosity, you pc won't boot with 4 dimms at the same time, but do all dimms work? Because i couldn't make it boot with the A1/2 but worked fine with B1/2

ROG Enthusiast Array

UPDATE 2: Got the new mother, behaves exactly the same... A1/2 are not usable. I can't believe asus released something like this.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielmage View Post
    UPDATE 2: Got the new mother, behaves exactly the same... A1/2 are not usable. I can't believe asus released something like this.
    Highly unlikely that both boards would have the same defective memory slots.

The only common element here is the CPU.
    If you can rule out bent/broken pins and no warped PCB, it would seem to be related to the CPU IMC.
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielmage View Post
    What's the part number of your memory kit?

To debug, do this:

1) update to the latest UEFI version
    2) See if the board POSTs with a single memory module in slot A2.
    3) If it does not POST, power down the board, turn off the PSU, and move the memory module to slot B2.
    4) Power up the system, once it POSTs, enter UEFI, go into the DRAM timing section and select Maximus Tweak Mode 2.
    5) Save and exit UEFI.
    6) When the system POSTs, enter UEFI, then press the power button on the board to power it down.
    7) Turn off the PSU.
    8) Insert a second memory module into A2, (leave the other module in B2).
    9) Power up the system.
    10) If steps 2-9 do not work, try again but this time use Maximus Tweak Mode 1. Do not use XMP at any part of this process. Want to see if the board will POST at 2133.
    11) Try the same as above, but this time set System Agent Voltage and IO voltage to 1.25V manually - just to see if its a timing related issue.

If none of this works, it's highly unlikely there is an electrical issue with the board - given you have tried multiple motherboards. The issue is either with the CPU cooler/board mounting, CPU, or the firmware. That latter I can rule out once you supply me with a memory kit part number, as I can ask someone here to replicate if need be.

-Raja

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    What's the part number of your memory kit?

To debug, do this:

1) update to the latest UEFI version
    2) See if the board POSTs with a single memory module in slot A2.
    3) If it does not POST, power down the board, turn off the PSU, and move the memory module to slot B2.
    4) Power up the system, once it POSTs, enter UEFI, go into the DRAM timing section and select Maximus Tweak Mode 2.
    5) Save and exit UEFI.
    6) When the system POSTs, enter UEFI, then press the power button on the board to power it down.
    7) Turn off the PSU.
    8) Insert a second memory module into A2, (leave the other module in B2).
    9) Power up the system.
    10) If steps 2-9 do not work, try again but this time use Maximus Tweak Mode 1. Do not use XMP at any part of this process. Want to see if the board will POST at 2133.
    11) Try the same as above, but this time set System Agent Voltage and IO voltage to 1.25V manually - just to see if its a timing related issue.

If none of this works, it's highly unlikely there is an electrical issue with the board - given you have tried multiple motherboards. The issue is either with the CPU cooler/board mounting, CPU, or the firmware. That latter I can rule out once you supply me with a memory kit part number, as I can ask someone here to replicate if need be.

-Raja
    Hey Raja, tried everything you said

When i used only A2 i get a CC q-code, followed by a 55. (And I'm unable to boot)
    If i install B2 + A2, i get a 49 first, then a loop between 01 and 03.

This is the same for all cases you've proposed I test

Memory kit part number: CMU32GX4M4C3000C15B.
    Last edited by Gabrielmage; 02-23-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast