cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see boot UEFI? Windows starts with no BIOS screen? Here's how I fixed it!

Ambidexter
Level 7
Hi All,

I have a Maximus VIII Hero, and an EVGA GTX980TI-SC graphics board installed. I was working on changing from HDMI to DisplayPort ports, and after moving things a few times, I started panicking!

A restart would work, but would go right from Windows back into Windows...with no UEFI splash ROG screen, etc. At least initially. I panicked because eventually when I'd boot, it wouldn't boot and gave me a Q-Code that indicated something about "can't find main display", or similar.

This graphics board has 2 DisplayPorts, so I decided I'd try the "other one". And sure, enough, it all works again. It shows my ROG splash, with the OC value, etc. as it should. It booted right up, and had no bad Q-Code.

It seems that the Maximus VIII Hero board and the graphics board decided that one of the ports was the "main port to use for BIOS". Even if you have a single DisplayPort device plugged in, the system may think your other port is the "system" port.

So, if you have a similar issue, with this motherboard / graphics combo or with another one, try another port of the graphics card if you can!

Good Luck!

-Ambi
MB: Maximus VIII Hero
CPU:Intel i7-6700K OC @ 4.7 GHz
Mem: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3600 MHz
Vid: EVGA GTX980 Ti SC@ 1530MHz
SSD:RAID1&0 Samsung 256G 840 Pro

HDD: RAID1 6TB Ultrastar 7K6000
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Case:Corsair 600T, mod for roof rad

Custom Loop:
Block:EK Supremacy Clean CSQ, Copper