Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene VIII random lockups - but stress test stable

ANM
Level 7
Hi

Asus Gene VIII Bios 2202
I5 6600K @oc 4.5 1.244V (adaptive mode + 1.20V) and when @stock
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 390 NITRO OC Graphics Card (@ stock latest drivers)
Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz (CMK16GX4M2A2666
Sandisk SSD x2
Coolermaster V1000 1000W PSU
Windows 10

Strange problem. I'm experiencing random system lockups. Frequency varies between 1 every other day stretching out to periods of a week without a crash. This machine is otherwise completely stable, I can stress test for hours using realbench, furmark, etc. without any errors, corruption or lockups. Memtest run for more than 24 hours (multiple passes) also shows no errors. I have also booted up in linux to stress test and again had no errors.

The system will lock up and no mouse or keyboard inputs will work, display will freeze on last image - but with no corruption. If it happens while audio is on in a game such as BF1 the audio will also be on a loop. I can only recover the system by switching the PSU off and back on. I have sometimes returned to my PC after work and it has rebooted itself, I assume from a similar lockup.

Looking at event manager I can not see any trend preceding the lockup. The only error message after the crash is kernal-power 63. It can lockup whilst on desktop or in a game and it does not seem related to workload.

The only other error I have seen is sometimes the AMD driver for the graphics card can crash. This has happened a couple of times while viewing videos in Chrome.

Any help would be welcome....

Is my PSU a dud? I can't understand why it can handle stress testing without breaking a sweat before crashing on desktop after being fine for hours/days.... Crashes happen at stock and overclock
5 REPLIES 5

Buellersdayoff
Level 7
It's usually a memory issue, so to rule that out run memory at stock speeds and see how it goes.
OR
bump up vccio & sa voltages a little until stable. Stick to 1.2 @ most for now, it will also increase cpu temp a little.
AND/OR
XMP? Applying xmp on asus board it will ask if you want to use asus performance tweaks (or something) select no in your case to improve stability.

Buellersdayoff wrote:
It's usually a memory issue, so to rule that out run memory at stock speeds and see how it goes.
OR
bump up vccio & sa voltages a little until stable. Stick to 1.2 @ most for now, it will also increase cpu temp a little.
AND/OR
XMP? Applying xmp on asus board it will ask if you want to use asus performance tweaks (or something) select no in your case to improve stability.

Right now I'm running on XMP, dual channel 1333 MHz 1.20V 16:18:18:35.

EDIT:

On auto:
- VCCIO 1.176
- CPU system agent voltage 1.150

I have bumped both up to 1.18750 and will see if that solves the issues

Buellersdayoff
Level 7
Apparently ai-suite is causing this issue also, uninstall or update to latest

FuryA
Level 8
hi ANM
You may try to change Memory or graphic
for troubleshooting?

Thanks for the advice.

I have bumped up VCCIO and VCCSA, I have also uninstalled Asus Ai.

Running without crash for 20 hours - but as I said system can sometimes run fine without crashing for a couple of days. I will update based on what happens over the next few days.

Can not swap out memory or graphics at the moment 😞