cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V + Intel 5960x Absolute max CPU temp?

Sverre
Level 9
What is the absolute max temp I can run the Intel 5960x on? And how long can I run it at this temp before the CPU starts taking to much of a beating (reducing life expectancy)? I was thinking about a warning sound at 105C and an alarm at 110C, but that might be too much? And which of the CPU temps should I take into consideration? ATM I'm monitoring the Package temp. What is the temp I should just let the monitoring software crash the PC?

I've been running Prime95 for 15 minutes (3 fatal errors) and the CPU Package seems to be stable between 100 and 105C. The CPU is overclocked to 4,5GHz (100*45, so nothing fancy, yet. Tried 4x4.6GHz and 4x4.5GHz, but the CPU crashed after about 5 minutes). The PC is water cooled with a 3x3 120 Radiator (MoRa 3 Pro, mounted in the front of the cabinet) with 9+9 push/pull fans and an additional 6+6 push/pull fans in the back. All of them blowing air into the cabinet. The only openings for air to get out is 4x80 holes in the top (been toying with the idea of putting some fans there, but don't know if that will help much) and the AX1500i (which didn't even bother to start the fan which is set to balanced). The Room/Water temp held stable at -2.3C and the Cabinet/Room at +2.9C. I have way to much air flowing in if I turn up the fans in the back too much, so I set them to max 50%. Everything is controlled by Aquaero 6xt. Maximum temp inside the cabinet was 29C (room temp was 26C).

I've been wondering if I should turn 4+4 of the fans in the back to suck air out, but don't know if that will have any positive effect. I prefer positive pressure, to keep the cabinet clean of dust.

No comments about over kill and stuff like that, I know it is!
[/URL]
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Running Prime95 at high clocks can seriously damage your CPU

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Running Prime95 at high clocks can seriously damage your CPU

I know that, but it shows me how high the temps can go, making it possible to tune the monitoring software. And running it for 15-30 minutes doesn't hurt, I think. 🙂
[/URL]