ROG Enthusiast Array

Upgrade Xonar DX to Strix Soar

Hello I am using my Xonar DX under windows 7 for a few years now and it sounds great...I can upgrade this card to a never strix sar and I have a few questions...I am usind dx with UNI xonar drivers an on it are plugged my Sennheiser HDR175 headphones using 3,5 mm jack for signal and over toslink my Harman Kardon AVR7500 with big 5.1 sound system using Dolby digital as a source. I need to know does Soar support Dolby digital and if it is an upgrade to DX or not ?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Vlada011 PC Specs
    Vlada011 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V E10 (BIOS 1903)
    ProcessorIntel®i7-5820K (4.5GHz 1.325V)
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
    Sound CardSound Blaster ZxR
    MonitorSamsung P2450H
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB/WD Black 2TB
    CPU CoolerEK RGB Monoblock RVE10
    CaseLian Li PC-O11 WXC
    Power SupplyEVGA 1200 P2
    Keyboard Deck 87 Francium PRO - MX Brown DS PBT
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Mouse Pad Steeseries QCK
    Headset/Speakers CREATIVE T5900 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903
    Accessory #1 iPhone SE Space Grey
    Accessory #2 EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass PWM + CoolstreamPE 360
    Accessory #3 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3 (radiator)

I suggest you to invest little more in sound card.
    I just upgrade from SBZ to SBZxR before few days and even on cheap speaker I still have impression of big improvement even looking youtube.
    You should check ASUS Xonar STX II. She have option for operational amplifier replacement, you even get tool for replacing op-amps and support Dolby Digital.
    Except if someone confirm that Strix RAID DLX is better.
    Anyway you will use sound card at least 5-7 years. They not become outdated so easy. Only if few new OS show up and support stop or some big change on motherboards.
    Special if you listen music often Xonar STX II shine in that situation.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ajinta View Post
    Hello I am using my Xonar DX under windows 7 for a few years now and it sounds great...I can upgrade this card to a never strix sar and I have a few questions...I am usind dx with UNI xonar drivers an on it are plugged my Sennheiser HDR175 headphones using 3,5 mm jack for signal and over toslink my Harman Kardon AVR7500 with big 5.1 sound system using Dolby digital as a source. I need to know does Soar support Dolby digital and if it is an upgrade to DX or not ?
    Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DX.

The Xonar DX with it's CS4398 DAC chip offers fairly good audio quality.
    The only real negative is the DX's headphone jack (Front Speaker jack) is more like a line-output jack, that also pretends to be a headphone jack.
    The DX's headphone/front speaker jack has a 100-Ohm output impedance, which is not great for headphone audio quality.
    You might consider buying an external headphone amplifer, O2 (Objective 2) or Schiit Magni.
    So Xonar DX > head amp > headphones.