cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some games freeze for 1/2 - 1 second (G752VY and G750JZ)

NP-complete
Level 7
Some of my games make the screen occasionally freeze for 1/2 or 1 second on my G752VY, and then everything goes on perfectly, no FPS drop. In AC: Unity, it happens right when the environment spawns on the screen after resuming a game, and also later when something new is about to happen (e.g. when I kill someone for the first time, or when I reach some new area in special levels not located on the main map). In Watch Dogs, it happens right when I finish any mission. In Abzu it occurs at the beginning, when the camera dives into the ocean, and also in the last chapter, right when you get into open water. This never happens in games that are not graphically demanding. Moreover, some graphically demanding games work perfectly fine: The Witcher 3 does, and AC: Syndicate shows that short freezing only when the game is loading, so it doesn't matter.

The craziest thing is that I had a G750JZ before my G752VY, and the same issue was there. It wasn't a big deal to me (it didn't make the games unplayable), but eventually I had to return the G750JZ to ASUS because it started to randomly switch off by itself, which was a big deal indeed, and three RMAs didn't solve the problem. So I'm worried my G752VY (bought after refunding) could be on the same path (no random switching off so far, everthing other than that issue is fine!).

This problem doesn't seem to be software related: I resetted the PC to its original state, then I installed any of those games to test it before any other program was installed, and the problem persisted. I did it several times, both on G750JZ and G752VY, and also tried it with several BIOS versions, Nvidia drivers, etc. Nothing changed.

The issue happens regardless of whether the game is installed on SSD or HDD. However, it seems to be worse on the HDD. For instance, The Witcher 2 works perfectly if installed on SSD, but those short freezing happen when I do "new things" (e.g. casting a sign for the first time, attacking for the first time) if installed on HDD. The Witcher 2 is a 2011 game, so it should work perfectly if installed on HDD (not even modern games require to be installed in an SSD!).

Any ideas?
0 REPLIES 0