cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP causing core temps to rise?

RxDealer
Level 7
Hi,

I have just managed to finally get a stable overclock on my i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz with 1.32v with default memory settings. The next step I took was enabling XMP, but this caused my core temps to rise about 5-15c. What could be causing this, and how do i remedy it? Should I manually set my ram or leave XMP on and decrease the VCCIO and System agent voltage? My temps without XMP on are around 75-80 when stress testing and when turned on are around 85-95!!!!

Setup
I7-7700k
Asus strix z270e mobo
g.skill trident z rgb 3200 14-14-14-34 ram
11 REPLIES 11

RxDealer
Level 7
So I tried reducing viccio and system agent down to 1.0 and still getting high temps. Will try some other tweaks and report back.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would set the RAM up manually...

XMP maybe raising LLC to max or something...XMP profiles more trouble than they are worth IMO...since you know what voltages to tweak...go manual

Yeah that's what I'm going to do next. Let you know how it goes.*

So after messing with alot of settings, the only thing I could get to work was changing the DRAM voltage from the XMP setting of 1.35 to auto and downclocking my memory from its XMP rating of 3200 to around 2500mhz. This seems drastic to me. Has this ever been heard of before or am I missing something here?

Nate152
Hi RXDealer

What cpu cooler do you have?

You might want to reset to defaults and get your ram at its rated specs then overclock your cpu, you may have to run with 4.8GHz if temps are too high.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi RXDealer

What cpu cooler do you have?

You might want to reset to defaults and get your ram at its rated specs then overclock your cpu, you may have to run with 4.8GHz if temps are too high.

kraken x62 aio. From a gaming perspective what is better more ram or a higher CPU overclock?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Auto ruling on the associated rails will scale with memory speed. You might want to dial these in manually (VCCSA / IO Voltages).
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I already tried reducing vccio and system agent voltage down to 1 and the temps didn't budge. I also tried resetting bios to default settings and only changing 1 setting by turning xmp on while leaving the CPU at stock and just that rose my temps significantly. The only thing that kinda worked was leaving the CPU overclocked and reducing the ram frequency from 3200 to 2500, which is a significant drop that I'm not happy about, but my temps did stabilze. Just frustrated that I bought expensive ram for nothing. I don't know maybe I'll be able to take advantage of it down the road...

NemesisChild
Level 12
What is the capacity and how many modules of G.Skill memory?

Btw XMP should not be affecting LLC.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601